SPAM BIKING'S WINTER CHALLENGE WHO'S COMING?

heathy

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
On Sunday Jan 4th supported by Mule bar,
The Winter Challenge returns this year with a similar all weather course to that held here in December last year. Utilising the hard pack tracks of the Plain, creates the option for speed, interspersed with more technical sections to keep you alert. This is now a renowned event in the Winter Mountain Biking Calendar and attracts around 1000 riders. To be part of this long standing new year tradition, enter on line now or download an entry form for postal entry. Registration opens at 8am on Sunday morning, with rides starting at 10am. The 50km route is suitable for experienced riders, the 35km for those wanting a challenge without the distance, and the 25km option is for leisure riders and older children (it has off-road elements but a lot of the distance is covered on hard tracks). We advise that riders wear appropriate clothing for the weather conditions. Fees stated on this site are for entries received before the day, on the day entries are welcome and are subject to a £2 surcharge per rider. Local accommodation can be found at www.summerhayesbandb.co.uk.

Link to online entry here http://www.spambiking.co.uk/eventsEntry ... eventID=17

So lets see some of you lot there ;) !!

i finish a night shift at 6 that morning! i'll try and enter! but i will be very slow if i do ride!!! :LOL:

Heathy;

How doable are any of the courses with a MTB tandem - I'd love to take my 6 year old on this, we've done 25 mikle events but have a serious traction problem due to a lack of weight over the back wheel!

If any are fire-road type routes then they'd be perfect..

Hamster, there are 3 routes of 25/35/50k's They all use a fair amount of hardpack, but at the same time there is a lot of [depending on weather]
grassy/muddy fields with some nice flowing singletrack chucked in.

I'm at a club meeting tomorrow night so will ask the course designer which route he would recommend for you ;)

provided the weather isn't too grim I'll be riding this again, hows the course set out Heathy, two loops or one big one?

Matt, its 1 big 50k loop and the 2 other routes are basically 2 short cuts,

Hamster, you will be pleased to know that you will be able to do all 3 routes on a tandem ;)

Were doing a pre ride of the course on the 21st so will have more info then, although it is the same as last year but in reverse.

right! i got the night off before this so i'm up for it and so are a couple of guys from the IOW ride earlier this month. and i said my mate adam was only allowed to borrow a bike if it was a retrobike! :LOL: no st4 for him this time!!

so who else is going? mini meet? :D

Still up for this unless the weather turns. I'd like to hope that the chill has made the Plain solid, but I'm expecting the usual mud fest, 1.8 spikes at the ready.... :?

Matt, i was up there this morning and found the mud it's usual self :evil:
The puddles were all frozen though, which is a small bonus ;)

I did about 25 miles and after 5weeks off the bike due to illness and twisted ankle [still hurts :cry: ] it was a real struggle for me, not sure how i'm going to cope with 50k :roll:

The weather looks like it's going to stay the same for a while too.

Hard luck mate, you could always do the 35 (wimp out :D ) route.
1.9 trailrapers could be the weapon of choice then. Suppost to be very cold, hopefully not too much of a breeze or it will be very nasty.

Back