Retro MTB Ride, Surrey Hills, October/November 2018 - VIDEO

Stodgy

Retro Guru
Retro Ride, Surrey Hills, October/November 2018

Hello All,

I’d like to organise a retro-ride in the Surrey Hills, an area of outstanding excellence for all things with chunky tyres and pedals. I know my around a bit but I’m likely to get lost and look confused at a moment's notice. All bikes welcome, apart from those ‘orrible E-bikes, unless it’s a E-stay bike then that’s fine, but it would be good to see some retro metal.

There was a big meet a few years ago in biblical weather so I’m hoping for better this time (so be prepared for rain then). I’m willing to lead the ride, the caveat being of course that all will be responsible for their own safety, wellbeing and general suitability for the extreme conditions that will be met along the way.

There are two options:

First Option (I think the preferred one): Mucking around near Peaslake. Good parking and distance can be tailored to suit soreness and weather.

I’m proposing a meet up in the Hurtwood carpark on Holmbury Hill near Peaslake. We’ll take in Yoghurt Pots, Surfa Rosa, Secret Squirrel, Telegraph Row, swing around to Barry Knows Best then have cup of tea and cake or cheese straw.
Big climb next up to Pitch Hill, stopping at the graveyard for an ironic breather, where we can sample the delights of Captain Clunk, the Graveyard Rollercoaster and other trails that appear out of nowhere that I don’t know the names of, but offer an array of challenges and awesomeness.

After this, there is the option to go back and do some of it again if the legs will allow it!

All will be waited for, catered for and not forgotten. All abilities welcome and nobody will be left behind! I suspect many of you are far fitter than me so when I’m knackered you can carry on if you want, but I think if we keep it at a gentle pace on the ups then we can get around ok. Nothing is far away from base camp so it should be fine.

Option 2:

A loop from Westcott taking in Leith Hill, including none other than the mighty Summer Lightning, Holmbury Hill, Pitch Hill and Peaslake. About 30 miles, parking is not so good in Westcott and when you’re at Pitch Hill, it’s quite a long way back. Bit of road work too but it's a good loop.

Proposed dates that I can make (at present, but possibly will change). Let’s see who’s interested:

October 20th
October 27th
October 28th
November 10th
November 17th
November 18th
November 24th
November 25th

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Sam

Re: Retro MTB Ride, Surrey Hills, October/November 2018

I can do 10/11, either route option is good for me.

Re:

Should be able to do 10th too. Not too bothered about route....driving from Horsham as will stay will in-laws.

Can we have some non retro riders? My brother and a couple of friends would like to ride there but don’t have anything old.

Carl

Re:

All are welcome, the more the merrier, but be aware this will be more of a bimble than a gap-jumping shredfest. It's not just the machinery that's getting old, and I can't replace my sprockets if they wear out!

Of course, feel free to ride how you want but we will ride at the pace of the slowest rider as a group.

Re:

Getting guided around the trails there so we can go back and maybe ride it again but faster will be the best bit I think. Most are riding xc 29ers so not downhill monsters.

Carl

Lots of interest in this from my usual ride group.

My Eldest, My brother, my weekly ride partner and 2 or 3 of the lads that I ride with on a Monday have expressed an interest.
Sadly we are unlikely to get many onto Retrobikes but they just want to come for the ride so they can get to know another area as quite a few are fairly recent converts to MTBing.

October 20th or 27th are favourites as we were hoping to get out before it get too muddy.

Carl.

I'm unable to ride at the moment, but this, done the other way, is one of my favourite rides.

"Option 2:

A loop from Westcott taking in Leith Hill, including none other than the mighty Summer Lightning, Holmbury Hill, Pitch Hill and Peaslake. About 30 miles, parking is not so good in Westcott and when you’re at Pitch Hill, it’s quite a long way back. Bit of road work too but it's a good loop. "

Start at Westcott, do the flatish stuff to Peaslake across the Abinger Roughs via Abinger Hammer on the far side of the A25.
Then from Peaslake, up Holmbury, unless you're really energetic and then a loop across the Hurtwood (Northern Monkey etc) and back with a bit of Pitch, then back to Peaslake.

From Holmbury it's a fun ride, except for the evil climb to High Ashes farm, but my way you get Summer Lightning and fun stuff all the way back to Wescott. Great way to end the ride.

Re:

Things have got busy lately so unlikely to be the 20th or 27th.

What if we say 10th November as a definite?

Re:

Posting to register interest in joining on the 10th of November. As a fairly inexperienced MTBer it sounds like a great opportunity to explore the Surrey Hills.

I will have to see how things are looking closer to the date. With family commitments a free Saturday is a pretty rare thing, but I'll hope to make it along on a suitable retro steed.

Latest posts

Back