Brian Rourke challenge & S.Manchester road routes

Roman

Dirt Disciple
Anybody here riding this 88k Sportive on 5th Oct?

In the meantime, could anybody recommend any good road routes for training around the S.Manchester/Altrincham area?

Sorry about the delay! I had wondered about riding it - but it's very hilly! Takes in Cat and Fiddle and Axe Edge and some nasty climbs between Leek and Stoke to finish. Could be tempted if there's few more interested.

Try this -

www.cftrust.org.uk/pressoffice/pressrel ... e_2008.doc

There's an entry form etc. which you can download.

Sean Kelly, Malcolm Elliott, Martin Earley rode last year - along with 1290 others.

Bit of a bind for me getting to Stoke early though. It would have to be early to make sure I had enough time to get round without needing lights!

How does a hilly 55 road miles compare to 20 off-road miles in the Peaks?

So does it start and end in Stoke - probably give it a miss if it does (too many motor logistics)... the C & F climb out of Macc is a 7 mile grind - sort of thing Typhoid Eddie does before an early morning bowel movement, mind... ;-)

I'd say 21 miles in the Peaks would be about the same as 55 hilly road miles - both aids to a good night's sleep!

Mr K

It starts and finishes at Brian Rourke's shop in Burslem which is not an easy place to get to from here. Also, I don't know what parking would be like, I expect there will be a lot of cars from riders travelling to the event from a distance.

I was reckoning that the effort of last weekend would be similar to riding this. At least the surface won't be as slippery if (when?) needing to walk!

Good luck to anyone riding on Sunday. I hope the weather's not going to be as bad as the forecasts appear to say it will be.

I decided not to ride as I'm just not fit enough to get me over those hills!

Back