HONC 2018, AFTERMATH

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Put up your thoughts - as long as there's no swear words! - and photos here folks.

Trying to upload mine right now, but in the meantime here's how my day went. Bumped into Twister first, telling tales of a last minute attempt to get a retrobike ready for the event, and failing miserably. Haven't we all been there? :LOL: This time riding a heavy as hell 11 speed hub geared, disc braked green thing. Was it a Genesis? I really can't remember sorry mate. :facepalm:
Not long after I saw Tim75, with a new friend he'd made at a campsite. Thought it best to leave that! :shock: He was on a fat bike.
Then Retro Spud made an appearance with his lovely Scott Endorphin, not that I'm biased! :LOL: :LOL:
So friendly greetings exchanged, I set off for the entrance to the school, from where the ride started. 9am was the start time. 8.05 is when the first riders were lining up! :shock: Some people were taking this seriously then.
So to the ride itself. For the mile or so of tarmac before trails, I tried to move up, thinking of last year where there was a big bottleneck on the first climb. Thankfully avoided, for me at least. The tarmac sections were welcome, as the off road was - in parts - brutal! Mud so thick and sticky, it just sapped your energy and any momentum you'd gained before it. I got a flat at around 60k, thankfully someone had placed a nice stream right next to the trail so I could wash the wheel before sorting it out. How thoughtful. I don't think I've ever been so pleased to see the top of Cleeve Hill, knowing there's just a descent to the end of the ride and a bit of road.
Other than the flat, the bike was faultless, getting a lot of compliments from the modern bike brigade. THEY don't know it's not really retro, being a 2000 model :LOL: The 1.5 Schwalbe Mud Shark tyres are out of this world in er, mud. Who'd have thought that! You can take any line through it, and you will not slip. A bit of a compromise on the road I guess, but worth it for the grip off road.
100km, 5 hours, 45 minutes.
And the apple pie was a good call THM, I'm tucking into it now. I suppose you want ME to get rid of the recycling?! :roll: ;) :LOL:

IMG_20180408_074416 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180408_082119 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180408_100535 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180408_103914 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

That was after the ford crossing, after all around me avoided it - hoping for a nice photo there! - hence the clean shoes!

IMG_20180408_104945 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180408_113916 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Food stop at 50k, Just had a cuppa here,

IMG_20180408_115126 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_20180408_115625 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Decisions, decisions! Left turn, Clive!

IMG_20180408_120218 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Finished, smiling, despite racing someone to the HQ. Because I won! :LOL: :LOL:

IMG_20180408_145502 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Over to you, folks ;)

Mike

Mike Muz 67":1mdsjqpj said:
That was after the ford crossing, after all around me avoided it - hoping for a nice photo there! - hence the clean shoes!

Mike

More from me later,
I too rode the ford when everyone else bottled it and rode round, however I'm not sure having soaking wet feet for the next god knows how many hours was worth it. Might change my mind if the pic is any good :D

Rode with Tim75 for a bit before we went our separate ways

and then I bumped into /overtook Gravy Monster and his Bristol posse then he over took me and so it continued for the next three hours to a point where started exchanging light hearted derogatory comments as we passed.

great day, the last decent down a stoney track with running water was both butt clenching and satisfying especially when buzzing past all the Cyclo Cross bikes

more later

Mike Muz 67":1bauxd72 said:
And the apple pie was a good call THM, I'm tucking into it now. I suppose you want ME to get rid of the recycling?! :roll: ;) :LOL:

IMG_20180408_145502 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Over to you, folks ;)

Mike

Recycling? Carol thought you needed a bigger lunch box. And that last pic confirms it.

Well done to all.

Retro Spud":1fmegiix said:
and then I bumped into /overtook Gravy Monster and his Bristol posse then he over took me and so it continued for the next three hours to a point where started exchanging light hearted derogatory comments as we passed.

LOL Spud :LOL:

Was good to see you as always , your bike was not looking as clean I usually see them ;)

I would have passed you just the once..... but we had Dapman in convoy and had to wait for him , it was rather comical seeing you round every corner and in the banana stop , see you at 2412 maybe then ..... proper race and proper good laugh with no lights out warnings

Did make me laugh all the CX bikes with punctures , 7 in the 1st climb and one was just after the start

Cheers

J

well done chaps, always good to see folk riding, racing and having fun!!!!

mike, you always look pro as fook :)

Gravy Monster":1awxh966 said:
LOL Spud :LOL:

Was good to see you as always , your bike was not looking as clean I usually see them ;)

I would have passed you just the once..... but we had Dapman in convoy and had to wait for him , it was rather comical seeing you round every corner and in the banana stop , see you at 2412 maybe then ..... proper race and proper good laugh with no lights out warnings

Cheers

J

Had you not had Dap man in tow, your right you'd have cleared off never to be seen again, well at least until I saw you in the car park at the very end :D

And your right on the dirty bike account also, that last drop into Winchcombe left it looking like this
however it picked up a fair bit of mud before hand

Attachments

• HONC 2018 B.jpg
    HONC 2018 B.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 2,361
  • HONC 2018 B.jpg
    HONC 2018 B.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 2,361
Sorry that I missed everyone at the start, I was running late. Upside was I started on my own and had clear climbs at the start. Only did the 50 km route but had reasonable ride. I was on the Ritchey P-29er (classic red,white and blue paint scheme) so I had a good time hammering downhill and overtaking others.

Cragrat73":n4bp26qb said:
Sorry that I missed everyone at the start, I was running late. Upside was I started on my own and had clear climbs at the start. Only did the 50 km route but had reasonable ride. I was on the Ritchey P-29er (classic red,white and blue paint scheme) so I had a good time hammering downhill and overtaking others.

sorry we missed you, did you take any pics ?

Back