Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:36 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:58 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:14 pm
Posts: 3832
Location: Somerset
What year is it? Sunday the 27th is not in 2007 :oops:
Sunday the 28th is :roll:


QUANTOCK MEET: SUNDAY 28TH JANUARY 2007 RAMSCOMBE.

RETRO RIDES PREFERED, MODERN'S WELCOME.

About 2 hrs of riding with a tea and cake brake followed by a nice pint in a local pub.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:14 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
scant wrote:
I'm sure as hell gonna do a decent (non retro) ride when I get there :)


Yeah because before suspension and disc brakes it was totally impossible to ride off road.

:roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:41 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:14 pm
Posts: 3832
Location: Somerset
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW Why are you so shy Russel, lets see this Prestige! :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
Stick Legs wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW Why are you so shy Russel, lets see this Prestige! :P


You got me :)

I'm waiting until it has forks on it until I post a pic or two. I don't like to insult a bikes modesty by picturing it naked, as it were :) Should be on legs this weekend.

Now that its got a few bits on it, I'm quite liking the orange and white aswell!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:28 am 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:18 am
Posts: 15804
Location: near cwmcarn
Russell wrote:
scant wrote:
I'm sure as hell gonna do a decent (non retro) ride when I get there :)


Yeah because before suspension and disc brakes it was totally impossible to ride off road.

:roll:


dude, I've been riding mtbs since 85 & in the mountains & on whatever bike I could cobble together before that :wink:
more than welcome to tag along with me this sunday to see why I dont ride retro on my local trails anymore :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
scant wrote:
Russell wrote:
scant wrote:
I'm sure as hell gonna do a decent (non retro) ride when I get there :)


Yeah because before suspension and disc brakes it was totally impossible to ride off road.

:roll:


dude, I've been riding mtbs since 85 & in the mountains & on whatever bike I could cobble together before that :wink:
more than welcome to tag along with me this sunday to see why I dont ride retro on my local trails anymore :D


I don't doubt that modern technology makes riding easier or more comfortable, I have MTB's in my garage that range from 1984-2004 so I'm well aware of the difference.

The inference in your post was that you can't have a decent ride on an older bike, which is nonsense. I suspect that a fitter and more able rider than you would kick your a** all over your local trails, even if they rode a rigid bike, just as a less fit and less able rider than you would be left gasping for air behind you even if they rode the best that 2007 has to offer.

Tell you what, instead of me coming to your local trails, why don't you race with me in April on my local trails at my local race... The Hell of The North? The Welsh don't have the monopoly on hills you know, dude.

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:56 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:18 am
Posts: 15804
Location: near cwmcarn
Russell wrote:
scant wrote:
Russell wrote:
scant wrote:
I'm sure as hell gonna do a decent (non retro) ride when I get there :)


Yeah because before suspension and disc brakes it was totally impossible to ride off road.

:roll:


dude, I've been riding mtbs since 85 & in the mountains & on whatever bike I could cobble together before that :wink:
more than welcome to tag along with me this sunday to see why I dont ride retro on my local trails anymore :D



The inference in your post was that you can't have a decent ride on an older bike, which is nonsense.

:lol:


you read my inference wrong dude ;) I dont ride retro as I dont enjoy it anyway near as much :wink:
never once implied welsh had the monopoly on hills, now u;re just ranting :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:04 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
scant wrote:
now u;re just ranting :lol:


Yep.

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:15 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:18 am
Posts: 15804
Location: near cwmcarn
Russell wrote:
scant wrote:
now u;re just ranting :lol:


Yep.

:D


fair enuff :)

although I'm spolit for choice on my own doorstep I do enjoy ridiing on new trails & fully appreciate theres lots of cool trails elsewhere in UK. its just the travelling to them thats the pain in the a$$... & given my major lack of free time its harder than ever to get away.
this year did north downs, exmoor, afan (not truly local!), brechfa forest, lake district, (was 1st cannock ride this yr? time flies!), forest of dean, northern beaches sydney(oxford falls, karingai, garigal) & les gets (morzine etc).

n,downs ride 14th Jan invitation is on this board for anyone interested.... only joking about losing people :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:26 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 pm
Posts: 10941
Location: kent
I will try to make the North downs . I have some lights and a GPS , so should be ok . :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group