The Cannock Turkey Twizzler 2016 Edition...

BerthaPog

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
A Retrobike December can't be allowed to pass without a Turkey Twizzler (other meat based products may be available) so...

The Cannock Turkey Twizzler 2016 Edition

Details shamelessly stolen from last years thread:

:: Date: Tuesday 27th December 2016 (which is a Bank Holiday so an ideal opportunity to avoid the sales, and spend your money on quality retro bits and bobs)
:: Distance/time: 18 miles or so spread out over a day's riding with plenty of stops, moaning and banter. Several short cut options available too.
:: Meeting at: Birches Valley Car Park (£4 for the day) Cannock Chase. Please arrive by 10 a.m. for a 10.30 a.m. start.
:: Directions: Postcode: WS15 2UQ
:: Terrain: Forest trails, mainly man made. Snow, ice and pools of stinking mud with occasional outbreaks of sunshine.
:: Route: The main ride will be the 'Monkey Trail' which we should complete by mid afternoon.
After a stop for food we always say we we'll head off for some more riding and perhaps a bit of off piste stuff. We probably won't though depending on the quality of the mince pies, mulled wine and old bicycle tat on display.

Bonus feature (if open - thanks To Elpedro666 for finding this:

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR THE FENCE-SITTERS

There is a new(ish) cafe at the split point of the two routes (the centre of the figure 8, if you're trying to picture it), right on the railway crossing - I can't find any info on opening times but potentially it's a perfect stopover for anyone wanting to do just the short loop (Follow the Dog), whilst the keener amongst us carry on and do the other side (Monkey Trail). That way we can all start and finish together :cool:

Prior aftermath threads:
2015: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=twizzler
2014: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=twizzler
2013: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=twizzler

Re:

I really must make an effort and attend this as its one of those events I always wish I could attend but
prior commitments get in the way (being xmas and all that)

And despite "Cannuuck" being just up the road from the Yam Yam Capital (where I work) I've never ridden it
so perhaps 2016 is the year to pop that cherry

Spud (off to book his gate pass)

Retro Spud":3cznzqb7 said:
The History Man":3cznzqb7 said:
It was epic. Will do my best.

If I get a gate pass do you fancy a car share ?

And be sociable? Jesus, that's a big ask. :xmas-wink: Will see what she lets me take. I shall start negotiations. If it's my car it's solo.

Subject to the plans of my friends in Lichfield and my ability to hire a vehicle, I am hoping to make this.

I insist on snow though.

would love to do this as I am not far away like Cannock chase a lot is there any shorter rides you are going as I can manager 5-10 mile as I am semi retired lol due to injurys

themountie":2gj8cuep said:
would love to do this as I am not far away like Cannock chase a lot is there any shorter rides you are going as I can manager 5-10 mile as I am semi retired lol due to injurys

The ride is a figure of eight so it's possible to just do Follow The Dog and miss off the Monkey Trail, as we have on previous visits. Old Kit might be looking to do the same...

I don't need to confirm I'm coming do I? I mean, I'm obviously coming :xmas-big-grin:

Back