London to Brighton

I'm starting at 8:00am should be in a RetroBike shirt or a Parkpre blue/purple shirt depending on if I can make a decision on which to wear. Lycra shorts & top with pockets in back or baggy shorts with lots of pockets & RB top with no pockets.

I'll be riding a non-retro Trek road bike, any more forum members doing the ride? ➡️ You can sponsor me via the link below if you have not done already

Carnage on the road to Brighton, saw loads of bad accidents - one guy face down unconscious bleeding from the head. Finished in 4hr 25mins riding with partner who was forced into kerb and went down hard doing about 20 mph, removing skin from forearm and shoulder plus hurting wrist on other arm, we carried on after he was patched up by St Johns Ambulance. Found out this morning he has a broken wrist :shock: :shock: :shock: Top speed 55mph on the descent into Brighton, climbed Ditchling Beacon grinding a 39T - 23T - my knees hurt today :eek: :LOL:

Lots of nice old bikes out on the ride yesterday. Got caught up behind the ambulances, might have been the same crash as REKIBorter. Ditchling was more a test of slow speed balance with so many people on it.

Saw one guy on a singlespeed with out brakes, his descent into Brighton must have been interesting.

One lady fell off in front of me after riding into the kerb whilst trying to stop, only just managed to avoid running her over.

One of our groups pedal fell off in Brighton so he rode to the finish with one pedal!

That descent into Brighton was faaaaaaaaaaassssssssst :shock:

Saw one person being scrapped up off of the floor on one descent :shock:

Quite a few speed skaters - kept distance from those on the descents. :shock: :D

5hrs 15 with forty minutes of stoppage.

Computer says about 4 hours 30 mins, but add over an hour through waiting for the ambulances to scrape people off the road.

The one being stretchered out of the ditch didn't look too clever.
Lots of people changing direction without looking...

Didn't see many retro mountain bikes, quite a few retro road bikes.

It was a good day, I was looking for Retro bike shirts but didnt see one :roll:

I started at 07:00 rode the tricross (sorry) but did manage to strap a decoy duck to my lid for entertainment :LOL:

Did it in 4.5 hrs with no feet down :cool:

Must say there was a good selection of old MTB,s and saw some ruff old bikes that were squeaking creaking and ginding.

Did anyone suffer any road rage or cycle rage, lots of cars were hurling abuse in brighton at riders would you belive,

I wouldn't have been happy driving in Brighton, bikes left, right, centre, everywhere.
They should either do it properly and close the road through the centre, or find a side route.

Didn't see any road rage but did see one Brighton resident getting upset when riders took a detour across the grass outside his house to get around an accident - the bit as you entered Brighton where the metal barriers went down the middle of the road. Was told to slow down at one point to avoid setting off a speed camera :LOL:

Back