Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Well that was an event!

Post your thoughts, pics and views on the route here chaps.

Well done to all! My ride went well, the uphills were tough (especially towards the end), and the downhills were fast, so fast, I crashed twice! The wind was a nightmare. But I did get to go through the Ford! Which was great fun! All in all it was a great day, done the 50KM in 3 hours, so not too bad for a first timer I guess!

Awesome day had! :)

Re:

Good honc, did the 50k on the fatty back around 12:30ish, weather was great apart from the head wind, interesting being pushed up hill!!!

Though the route was OK, very similar to a couple of years back but with more road on the first part which was a shame, at least it kept moving though.

Rode the 1st part with Mike until he turned off on the mans ride, then saw Rupe over cleeve common.

Sorry not to see Jason or Neil, how did you guys get on?

I think we maybe need a meeting point at the start next year!!

Well, where do i start.

Ended up riding with a few guys who were doing a hare to my tortoise: i'd start a climb and settle into my slow pace, lnly to have them come past me. Each time I got to the top, there they'd be, in a heap. I ride past. On the next climb... You get the idea.

Just before the last descent to Tea stop at Guiting Power.

It was very windy and roady with a few nice off road ups and downs. After one of the downs I noticed a bit of a wobble at the back. Looked own to see my rear tyre doing a very passable impersonation of the elephant man. Lowered the pressure, a lot, rode on and kept an eye on it. Good job I did as it then grew a beard and started to leave itself along the trail. The brown bits on the left aren't mud but whispy threads of casing....

My support crew (Mrs HM) were called, the pass codes to the shed shared and a rendezvous set at the 26 mile point. While sat on a rock waiting for tyre and pump to arrive, a youngster had a very nasty off and was in bit of a state. The support crew became ambulance.

He's already in the front with the heater on.

Bike fixed up to Cleeve Common where it got really windy. Not sure what the little detour behind the aerials was all about other than to cause a bottleneck. It worked.

Down to Winchcombe, Picked up medal. Pretty Bleak at the finish so home for roast lamb and rhubarb crumble.

Saw Neil Mike and Jon at the start but after that was on my own which was fine. A meeting point would be good at these things. Did notice a load of guys revving at the start line at 8.40am. Are you sure?

Why thank you. As I virtually passed my front door I popped in to make sure the support crew hadn't left the shed unprotected. It was looking at me funny.

Re:

There are still riders coming in. That's over 7 1/2 hrs!

Mike

The History Man":2ns1u5qk said:
Saw Neil Mike and Jon at the start but after that was on my own which was fine.
AHEM! We traded words at the bottom of the first climb, which I refused to walk up.

In the end I went up with a couple of the ride marshals.

According to Strava, I passed you at around an hour and a bit, but I didn't see you (obviously) or I would have hurled abuse.

Coleman, you were motoring, I got back around one ish, after a few photo stops. I'll download them once the Garmin is charged and if they are any good, you'll get to see them.

That wind. :facepalm:

And I don't mean the stuff emanating from the gents at the food stop. :shock:

Re:

Anyone have any amusing incidents?

I had a guy stop without warning on the climb away from the water splash, needless to say, our wheels kissed. :facepalm:

On the final high speed rattle down hill, (where the photographer was with double flash heads :shock: ), I came rapidly upon a young guy on a brand new bike, taking it carefully (very wise) ON YOUR RIGHT, hollers I, and as I was passing, he turned right.... we missed.

Back