The Cannock Turkey Twizzler 2014 Aftermath

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Twelve souls braved the arctic conditions of Cannock Chase today for the annual Turkey Twizzler. Actually ended up being a jolly good ride despite the snow and slush, the trails round Cannock are coming together really well, seems like most of the trail is now singletrack.

Cannock 2014 by John@Retrobike, on Flickr

Few highlights to the day including the History Man taking a dive off the duckboard into the undergrowth, the snow and of course meeting up with a few retrobikers.

Glad longun made is back ok after his freehub packing in.

https://flic.kr/p/qgXDpL by John@Retrobike, on Flickr

Sorry for the lack of pics, see you at the next ride.

Re:

Home and dry. Bike washed. Brakes will have to wait till tomorrow to be replaced.

I can also give my review on waterproof seal skin socks.
I can confirm they are 100% waterproof. Unfortunately all the water was on the inside and poured out when I removed them.
The festering bag of washing will also wait till tomorrow to sort out.

Thanks to all who made a cold wet ride into an enjoyable day out.
Feet are nearly thawed out.

Home. Very kind of Mark to make me feel better after my off to top it. His last words were "This is a really good bit"

I paced from his bike to his landing point. A very impressive 18-20ft of horizontal flight. After offering assistance of course.

Great to see you all. And thanks for your patience.

Why is everything in my rucksack full of pond water?

Mrs HM says I have to stop falling off as she can't afford the painkillers. Her ribs or mine?

Right turns only. The splodges are tears of mirth.
0d897754a80bf7d6790ee24d955659c8_zps4c07d5cd.jpg

As usual 100 yds behind.
dbfd60c5c0fe5ef628047e6bdb5a86ee_zps7b79e977.jpg

Re:

Some great piking, i mean riding on show today. Thanks for making me feel welcome, great to catch up with old friends and meet some new ones. Some nice old school bikes being ridden too.

1st ride back for me after a broken back and it went better than i could have hoped for. Until my feet turned to solid ice with a couple of miles to go i felt ace and was riding great.

Nice to be back after my 3 year sabatical, sure i'll be back for more in 2015.

This is my first post in ages. I quite enjoyed the Follow the Dog half of the red route. Things were going OK until the last down hill bit from Tackeroo site. I had managed to accumulate some speed, well momentum at least. Upon grabbing the front brake, I think the block went under the rim and I went straight through a corner. This would have been fine and dandy if it hadn't been for the heap of branches. The bike stopped and I went onwards and upwards as they say.

The History Man's decision to sample the waters of a scummy pond by means of launching himself and his bike from the top of the boardwalk section was admirable, (should he change his forum name to Bruce Willis? I think so!) although carrying the water home in his shoes/bag/camera for analysis was a bit too keen.

So my bike was on the deck three times today. Twice with me and once with a chap that discovered canti brakes are not as sharp as discs! Now that was the first time my front wheel has ever wheelied! Generally the wheels only leave the ground when I put the bike back in the car!

That is where the thing still is, festering in the boot. My shoulders are too battered to contemplate lifting it out.

I enjoyed the ride and appreciated the bodge with the cassette, spokes and zip ties!

awesome ride gents, great to see some familier faces again and ride an ace place, shame my freehub body decided to pack in near the furthest point away........damn late 80's parts haha, need early 80's stuff. bimped into spence at the shop as well and i rek ill be back soon to finish the ride ;). wanted to stay and wait but was too cold and as expected the motorway was murder on the way home so glad i missed it in the dark. cheers again guys, love my retrobike family, always a pleasure and when people help you out it really shows the true spirit of our community, rally appreciate the help, zip ties and ride back......although offroad fixie in the snow is a sport i dont wish to do again haha

cheers and chapaux gents

chin chin :)

Re:

Hi Longun,
glad to be able to help with the cable ties, and i know you were impressed with my christmas cracker scissors.
have to say that after riding behind you with no freehub, feet off pedals, going downhill over some bumps definatly made me wince a little.
was probably for the best that your rear wheel decided to part company as well.

Rich

Had a great day chaps the highlight was the young lad falling off the retro bike (marks!) while pulling a wheelie priceless.

Re: Re:

Myshrall189":1thurx0r said:
Hi Longun,
glad to be able to help with the cable ties, and i know you were impressed with my christmas cracker scissors.
have to say that after riding behind you with no freehub, feet off pedals, going downhill over some bumps definatly made me wince a little.
was probably for the best that your rear wheel decided to part company as well.

Rich

cheers dude, need to invest in some extra ties now, this could happen on any bike and i was so so impressed it got me back with no worries, although going down the hills legs asquire did turn a few heads lol

Latest posts

Back