Riding England to Poland

surealneil

Dirt Disciple
Hi all.

I'm riding from England to Poland next year. I've been informed that the route we are taking is approx 2000km.

Just wondering what advive any one may have on bike and setup of said bike for cycling this distance. :facepalm:

You know that this forum is specifically for older mtbs? Anyway, beside the obvious (eg "use a boat for the bit between England and France)

- An old all-rigid mtb would work very well with the right stuff on it

- Which means probably means Ergon grips on straight flat bars or Phorm g510s on swept back bars - or maybe weirdo trekking bars

- If you've not yet got favourite saddle, then the bent-nose Selle SMP TRKs are very popular with the long distance touring crowd (the cheapest model is as popular as any)

- Put the best slick (ie no or little tread) touring tyres you can find - which probably means Schwalbe Almotions (you're looking for an optimum combination of low rolling resistance, comfy suspension from the air in the tyre, and puncture resistance)

- You also want mudguards

- Merino wool t-shirts and undies resist getting smelly much longer than anything else

- Join the CTC (google this!) for the legal coverage etc and ask more questions on their forum

I looked into this briefly, there's a considerable saving in riding distance and time if you take the night ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland

I've used the ferry before for riding in Holland and you get docked just in time for a full day's riding after a decent night's sleep

Back