RetroBike National MTB Rd 6: Peak District ~ AFTERMATH

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Another classic day in the Peak District today.

The weather wasn't the greatest we've ever had, but a pretty good turnout nonetheless.

Post up your recollections and photos here!

Re: RetroBike National Series Rd 6: Peak District ~ AFTERMATH

Brilliant ride, wet and very muddy but sooo enjoyable, downhill sections were a total blast, scary yet a rush at the same time...

My pics have uploaded to the bucket, i shall post them tomorrow, thank you to the ride organisers and leaders, very good route, i ache but in a good way, cheers boys!!

Did I hear the route was different this year?

Re:

twas a great day out; in the end thought the weather made it,
a challenge , pity to miss out on the views but will be back to see them some other time.
the food stop did a great job top marks for the sponge cake :D
nice to meet a few more new faces ,
thanks for showing us round your back yard,and see you next year
this ride got a ten from ken :D
ps any one doing the peaks take plenty of spares :|

Re: Re:

kenaltobelli":g5vv1jne said:
ps any one doing the peaks take plenty of spares :|

Like a spare bike lol :LOL:

But in fairness as we proved, all you really need to fix bikes (and shoes) trailside, is tie-wraps, black insulation tape and energy gel sachets haha!

I'll have my pics up this morning :D

Pics, at long last....

First up, riders, 26 of us in total and we managed to get all of them round the whole loop, despite things deciding they didnt want to be working things and trying to halt progress...

We even had a brief visit from LGF who although he wasnt riding, came to say hello and wish us well on the ride..

And then it was off up the mountain sides and into the mist and the drizzle and mud...

Longy proving that old metal can still cut it..

We werent walking, honest..

Some lovely views, even if the fog did try to hide them..

Nearly there boys..

Climbs always look relatively flat on pictures...

Why didnt the retrobikers cross the road..?

Because sheep....!

Then it was more climbing into the ever thickening fog..

Ever upward....

I AM MAN, I ARE CONQUEROR OF MOUNTAIN.....

Who am I kidding, I'm shattered really....

Riders in the mist..

Not too sure why Ken looks so shocked in this pic...

Post food stop antics..

Extremely friendly cat..

And some properly odd looking dogs..

Life through a lens..

Mechanical number one..

Fixed!!..

Then further on after resuming riding, mechanical number two..

How to fix a failed freehub trailside..

Broken freehub, not a problem sir, i shall convert it to fixie for you..

FIXED, literally....

Mechanical number three, Paul demonstrates how to repair a torn sidewall (same bike as broken freehub too) tear in sidewsall as shown here..

Note use of convenient energy gel sachet..

Insert thusly and replace tyre to wheel..

One happy rider, one happy bodger, and a look of "thats gonna last two seconds" from the guy behind..

And this was at the bottom of a belting rocky descent (which we actually rode UP last year) with riders literally still flying down..

Mechanicals numbers five and six (four was still half way up the descent fixing a flat there)

More scenery just before heading down the trail we used to do the hillclimb challenge on..

Mechanical number seven, a split link decided to split on the reverse hillclimb challenge..

Although no tie-wraps were involved in this repair..

Paul showing his excellent repair skills again, fixing it one handedly..

Then a steady road descent back into hope signalled the end of the ride..

Oh and Longy acquired this kona frame, complete with mint sticker which says it all for me..

The rest of my pics (not going to post 123 of them) are in this album here..

http://s916.photobucket.com/user/spudly ... t=2&page=1

Oh and technically i had a minor mechanical too, after repairing Carls busted freehub, my pedals felt a bit wobbly after id set off, seemed my non driveside crank arm bolt was trying to escape and almost succeeded too, a quick stop to tighten it back up and all was well again, but very nearly a mechanical :LOL:

Re:

Very good ride!

The peaks is never going to be race course flat but the weather did make, actually. Anything from drizzle to full on rain but it somehow made the routes more enjoyable even, a real buzz!

Nice to see you all. Like spudly says, the views were somewhat hidden but it really is dramatic up there, such a shame it was so misty.
I havn't washed the bike yet, cannot be bothered yet :) Brake blocks were new and now i reckon they are down to the limit.

The puncture count became a joke in the end but, there is so much loose stone around, it's more or less unavoidable.

So, the dry dock workshop agenda was.....

Atleast 6 flat tubes.
Broken chain.
smashed freehub body (credit to DICKO10)
Twisted and maladjusted marin bear valley ridden by rich aitch(he crashed) :)
tyre sidewall tear.
loose crank arms.

sure there was more..

All in i really enjoyed the day. we had a post ride carpark jumble which, always adds happiness to the whole day!

Cheers for the lift down stu.

And, have you seen the weather outside, right now? I'm saying nothing! :LOL:

Two '95 team marins.

Tedc on his kona

Farmyard cat was a friendly beast. Always looking for food leftovers, to wash down the voles and mice ;)

Rapid rich, altered his bikes' control layout.

Botch of the ride, by far, kinda worked too!

Here we go! puncture paradise...

GO JEFF GO! GO JEFF GO!!!!

Hehe, 40 yards!

That's it. kinda murky for more.
see y'all soon.

cheers

Hmmm, I kinda glad work got in the way and stopped me from attending this one. Was gonna christen the Attitude proper with this meet but I think I would've died inside all the way round as mud and gravel removed the fresh paint bit by bit.

Loving the botch it n scarper on the mashed freehub, brilliant ;)

1210tech":2ofr11qi said:
Hmmm, I kinda glad work got in the way and stopped me from attending this one. Was gonna christen the Attitude proper with this meet but I think I would've died inside all the way round as mud and gravel removed the fresh paint bit by bit.

In that case (and having just had a look at your thread) you wouldve been heartbroken and probably carried your bike the entire way, ive not looked at my downtube on my kona after hearing some of the planet sized boudlers leaping up and hitting the tube with massive horrible sounding 'BONG' sounds!!

It was polished and shiny the night before, it is now whitey-grey with scuff marks and scratches from the stones/rocks/boulders/sand/mud and general grinding paste type grit!

Re:

washed and polished my bike and it looks like your everyday hack;
that you pull out of a skip :mrgreen: got away with my hope skewers being untarnished :facepalm:
did i say i had some hope bling on my bike? :D

Back