Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The Retrobike National MTB Event Series 2014

Round 6: The Annual Retrobike ‘Day in the Peaks’ Ride

RB-Peaks-15.jpg

:: Date: Saturday 6th September 2014

:: Distance/time: 20 miles approx spread out over a full day's riding with plenty of fuel stops and banter.

:: Meeting at: Woodbine Cafe, Hope at 10:00am for 10:30am start.
Revised route this year with a new lunch stop.
[Restricted on road parking and a Pay and Display car park ~ Regular trains from Manchester and Sheffield]

:: Directions: Grid Ref: SK170835 ~ Postcode: S33 6RD

:: Accommodation: Plenty of options in and around the Hope Valley, including a campsite about half a mile from the start point, and the infamous Woodbine B&B.

:: Camping: The tried and tested option is here: --> http://www.lanesidecaravanpark.co.uk. Note that the owners don't accept group bookings from single sex groups. So plan your booking strategy accordingly. That said, they are very friendly and accommodating.

:: Terrain: Rocky and natural Peak District tracks and trails with long climbs and longer descents. Can be a bit exposed on the moors so be prepared if the weather is inclement. Some short road sections but mostly off road. A few steep technical drops and plenty of rocks, glorious views and fast descents.

:: NO HELMET - NO RIDE

:: The ride: The main ride will be on the Saturday.
If there is any demand for it, then there can be a ride organised for Sunday as well.
Please indicate whether you would like to ride on Sunday as well on this thread.

:: The route: Even though we start from the same location in Hope, the ride will differ from the classic route which has been used for the past five years.
This is mostly due to the poor state that some of the descents have been left in after successive wet winters.
The final route will be decided a few days before the ride depending on the weather leading up to the weekend and recce rides.
Whichever option we go for you can be assured that it will be a really great route which takes in some classic Peak District trails.
As usual though, there will be a few short-cut options and bail outs for anyone who is struggling, unfit and/or hungover.

:: Map:
peaks_ride_map_2014.jpg

The start point in Hope and the lunch stop at Rushop Hall are highlighted on the map and gradient profile.
We'll aim to leave Hope at 10:30am, and arrive at The No Car Cafe at Rushop Hall at 2:00pm.
We should be all finished by about 4:30pm.

Aftermath threads for these rides can be found below. Let's hope that this year will be just as successful and just as memorable:

Aftermath 2008
Aftermath 2009
Aftermath 2010
Aftermath 2011
Aftermath 2012
Aftermath 2013

Hope to see you there!

--------------------------

Re:

That's right, you heard it here first... New route!

I may have recycled last year's announcement thread though.

A few teasers to whet your appetites. No starting with the big radio mast climb onto Shatton Moor, no Bradwell Edge mud slide, we'll be descending what we'd usually use as the hill climb challenge and there will be more downhill than uphill.

Re: RetroBike National Series Rd 6: Peak District ~ 06/09/14

I feel like a part of me just died... ;-)

mrkawasaki":3ike8e51 said:
I feel like a part of me just died... ;-)
I've felt that every year you haven't been there Neil.

Ha! I might just have to come down and see this new fangled route you're on about... kids!

Re:

Is it a few weeks earlier this year?

I can see the comfort of high pressure tyred rigid bikes bombing it down the hill climb challenge already.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":xjvr5flc said:
Is it a few weeks earlier this year?

I can see the comfort of high pressure tyred rigid bikes bombing it down the hill climb challenge already.

It's a week or so earlier than last year yes. Can't remember the exact reason for this.

Pin Dale is a fantastic descent and just before that we'll have Dirtlow Rake - the 'Kamikaze of the Peak District'.

Re:

Date before was always good, now it hits the first weekend of kids back at school. Going to be harder to get there, it might stop a few from around here going too. We'd all thought, OK assumed without looking, it would be the same weekend as always. Hum. I'll post on Facebook and see who can come.

Re:

September is new baby retrobiker month so no traveling to rides for me for a while.

Have a good one although it wont be the same without that wonderful climb to the aerial mast :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back