RetroBike National MTB Rd 5: North York Moors ~ Aftermath

kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Yorkshire National Weekender ~The Aftermath ~

Part I

Saturday morning, its grey an grim and the forecast is for rain...
But the show must go on so its off to Goathland, arriving at camp RetroBike people are eating and fettling their bikes.
So time for me to set up camp, tent up, kettle on, time to check my bike :oops: Gear cables wrong way :oops: after much faffing its time to start our Saturday ride.

Home for the Weekend

Where did I put my bike

Our route takes through Goathland village (TV series Heartbeat was filmed here) so a quick stop for pics and then
off down the road to the train station for more pics, always one or more steam trains and always a pleasure to see.
We then set off up the short sharp tarmac climb to the moors, across the moors on grassy double track,
then back on to tarmac for another climb this time its not so short...

Goathland

At the top its a quick hop over the Whitby road and were back on the moors this time its the good stuff...
Singletrack with small drops and hidden rocks waiting to catch you out, after this we cross on to farm land and rolling green fields.
More farm tracks and a short grassy climb and we're almost at the first fuel stop but first its a fast bumpy ride downhill.
Then time for some refreshment, as we eat and drink the rains came and rain it did... we stay until the rain stops and then
its time to retrace our route back up the fast downhill, not so nice going back up with full belly's and dead legs.

Follow my leader

Down to the farm

Midge Hall

Tea Garden

Now we have a short hop across a field, then 10 meters of scrubby woodland, then onto a fire track, simples...
But as we cross the scrubby woodland each and everyone of us is assigned 100,000 flys to torment us for the next few miles,
As soon as we reach open moorland the flys retreat back to the woods and we're about to ride 3 miles of singletrack back to
the road, across the road and it more singletrack but this time its through big bomb holes made buy mining and then onto the
road for a canti smoking descent to the pub.

Who stole the sunshine

Its Grim up North

The pub is in Beck hole and its a real step back in time as their's two bars separated by a shop so it can be run by one person,
they also serve fine ales and pies, as we sit drinking and chatting about the ride it starts to rain...
Time to leave and as if by magic the rain stops but thats not going to make the next climb up to Goathland any more pleasant,
its steep an twisty but the only way is up and we're soon in Goathland village heading back to the camp site.

Dazed and Confused

Time to leave

All back to camp safe and sound and its time to fire up the BBQ and crack open the beers, the weather plays ball and
we are treated to a sky full of stars and the view of thunder and lightning storms over Teesside to the North.
A good day and a fantastic end to what I thought was going to be a wet and miserable day.

Part II coming soon

cheers kaya

Re: RetroBike National Series Rd 5: North York Moors ~ Aftermath

Hi All

Accusations of indecency aside this was yet again another fine weekend with the Retrobike guys. It was good to see a few new faces as well. It saves us all having to look at Vern time after time. The banter and BBQ on Saturday night was as good as ever, the campsite was good save for the ablutions and the caravan generator incident.

Many thanks go out to Vern and Gil for guiding us around the course which was as usual, challenging but not overly strenuous.

Here's to the next one.

Trebz

P.S. I told you the chicken was nice.

Re:

...and home and showered and to bed...

And then up again in three and a half hours to head up to Scotland!

Well worth it for a cracking weekend of riding, drinking and general excellent humour - massive thanks for all the hard work that goes into making these things run so smoothly.

Anyone have a 28.6mm post and a SID crown going spare...?
Oops :oops:

:LOL:

Re:

SID crown race? Was that the front end creaking, glad you had a cracking time though.

Does a Vern really go over the handlebars if nobody sees him?

Re:

Great weekend but god I felt it last night , No ticks this time so bonus , big thanks to all those that came and enjoyed themselves.
Good weather , good company , good beer , good downhills .
Will sort pics later but I didn't take as many as Vern .
Those that didn't come well all I can say is your loss as you missed a great weekend .
Matthew

Re: RetroBike National Series Rd 5: North York Moors ~ Aftermath

Thanks goes to you Northern Chaps for making us feel welcome.

It was a great ride with big open country side with spectacular views and was well worth the drive though I've got my mate Andy to thank for that.

see you all later at the peaks.........

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":juqah3py said:
Does a Vern really go over the handlebars if nobody sees him?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I meant the steerer/stanchions Ben - think I may have shortened the wheelbase slightly... Have a spare from a pair I bought on here that turned out to be utterly trashed; sadly unusable but I can at least compare angles with them! :facepalm: :LOL:

Re:

Suspension this, suspension that....soft gets. ;)

Come on, i'm logged on and need some pics! I expect there was some great riding. The weather was largely kind leading upto the weekend but then friday evening it tinkled down probably softening some sections up for yous.

I couldn't get up in the end, nobody coming my way. Ah well, there's next year.

cheers.

Latest posts

Back