Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The Retrobike National MTB Event Series 2014

Quantock-banner-2014.jpg

:: Date: Saturday 12th July 2014
:: Time: 10 am for a 10:30am start.
:: Meeting at: Lydeard Hill Car Park - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/109129 - the easiest way up is to come off the A358 at Bishops Lydeard, head up Cothelstone Hill, and take a right where it says Park End on the map. Or if you're coming from the North, come off at Bridgwater, and take the road towards Enmore and West Bagborough.
There's another link with a map and directions here
Click here for a Google map link

:: Terrain: Plenty of ups and downs, a mix of singletrack and more open trails. Should hopefully be nice and dry by mid-July, can be quite gravelly in places.

:: Route: Only about 17 miles (but it's pretty steep in places!) taking in some favourite trails of the Quantocks, such as the Chimney, Frog Combe, Holford Combe. It'll also follow some tracks across the top of the hills with some stunning views over towards South Wales to the North and Dartmoor to the South on a clear day. Their will be a pub stop about half-way in Holford. Decent pub grub and ales to be had.

:: Accommodation: There are a some B&Bs in Bishops Lydeard, and a few campsites in the local area.

:: Pub Lunch: If we get a decent response, we'll contact the pub in advance to help things run more smoothly.

15146707.jpg

Holford Combe:

This will be the eagerly anticipated first Retrobike national ride held in this area so make sure you can make it!

Please sign up on this thread.

Re:

I'm in. Will be camping (well, vanning) somewhere nearby & then going to the enduro at Holnicote(?) on Sunday where my son is racing.

Don't mind about the pub stop - I would actually prefer just to keep going rather than stop for food part-way but whatever the majority want. It's quite good to have a cake fest after the ride if people bring goodies to share. I can make coffee for me & a friend on the van cooker but if someone brought a big camping stove & kettle (& water etc) that should serve a few caffeine cravers.

Shall we have a bike jumble?

Re:

Bike Jumble sounds like a plan.
The pub stop can be just a breather, maybe a quick half and a pack of ready salted ;)
Will gauge opinion on the day.

Re:

Granny ring, shmanny ring, I'm planning on using the IF singlespeed! it will hurt, but is doable round the Quantocks.

Re: Re:

ajantom":2w2ehk6u said:
Granny ring, shmanny ring, I'm planning on using the IF singlespeed! it will hurt, but is doable round the Quantocks.
Commendable, but some of us are neither as fit or as YOUNG as you. :mrgreen:

Back