HONC aftermath

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Good turnout today for HONC, thanks to all who made it over.

Sure a full report will follow but have to say of the 12+ times I've ridden it that was definitely the hardest! A mixture of some heavy tracks, wet conditions and starting last made it quite a long and tough day out. Credit to everyone for getting round either the 50km, 100km or somewhere inbetween.

That was actually pretty tough.
8 hours of riding pretty much non stop starts to hurt. I was asleep on the sofa at 8.30 last night. Decided not to ride into work today.

Also, what was that cake??

gump":2a44wply said:
8 hours of riding pretty much non stop starts to hurt.

:shock:

Tell you what, you can do 21hrs at MM, and us other 3 will finish up for you then ;)

Long hard day in the saddle for sure.. Eventually got back to Chez Hilts around 10pm having had lots of fun on a traffic jam on the M40 which tested my stiffening hamstrings (oh for an automatic), picking up the brood from my mothers and trying to stay awake by listening to 80's night on heart fm...

Riding to work this morning was not too enjoyable to be honest...

I'm sure Gus will be along shortly with a full write up :?:

Done 50km - the majority of which was with MrsWu (MuTangled?) and was a hugely enjoyable ride. Didn't have another 50km in my legs yesterday - in fact before I threw my breakfast up and got a motivational talk and push from EdEd I didn't think I'd get up that first climb :shock:

Highlites of my ride were:

Trying to get my picture taken with an angry Bull (a proper MAdCow)

Sight of the the big guy (read rotund) riding a LT FS bike with fullface helmet and extreme weather gear up the first climb. Heaven knows if he ever finished......

Cakes, Tea and Bananas at the halfway point

The ride up and across Cleeves Hill/Meadow and the amazing rocky singletrack decent back into Winchcombe through the wood. Made the previous 40km worthwhile :cool:

2 hrs of happy hardcore on the way home to roast dinner at 6pm!

Lowlights:

Being sick on the first climb - bacon tasted better on the way down

My stack coming off Cleeves Hill - one of those "how the f*ck did that happen?" crashes. No significant damage. Wiped MuTangled out to in the process :oops:

Big thanks again to EdEd and Sarah for the day.

Toughest ride I've ever done, stopped for 20 minutes at the half way mark and gorged myself on food - Andy that cake I think you're on about is bread pudding - just like my Mum used to make! :D

A mechanical put me out for another 10 minutes when one of the front pads disintegrated on some evil descent, not the best time for it to happen! Swapped the pads from the rear to the front to get the rest of the way round okay, got lost 3 times :LOL: Finally got back to Winchcombe school at 16:08 then 2hours 40 to get home again. Legs are still tired this morning, very tough 100k.
:)

couple of surreal moments..

After food stop, get to a junction and see Ed, Gus and Heathy asking a martial for directions! Clearly a minor detour for them.. :LOL:

In the everlasting last 10 miles stopped for a snack at the top of a climb to be called from behind - twas John and the James'! That lifted me for about 30seconds, then it was back to the grind :(

There were some great downhills, though to be honest, think the Cleeve hill ride in the snow was easier, even given the extreme cold pain in feet..

Once again though, GPS was my friend. Managed to make up whole seconds by not having to stop at every junction :D

Oh, and the big greasy bacon/burger/brie roll at the end was probably the best moment of the day. :D

Good day out in great company. Very lucky that the weather wasn't too bad although to be honest it might have made the conditions a bit easier if had rained (bread pudding was slightly less sticky than the mud) as it became a bit of a slog.

Wu added to his legend by changing his socks on the first climb which also necessiated adding an insole - he constantly surpasses himself. He also spent over 20 minutes in a pub and despite his protestations Heathy and I remain convinced that he was tucking into a roast dinner.

Top event, well organised, great cakes at halfway and the end, nice relaxed atmosphere, helpful marshalls and plenty of bale out options if weather/legs/spirit don't hold out. Would recommend it to anyone and wouldn't mind doing it again unofficially in the summer although my maps and directions have disintegrated somewhat.

As we were driving away (Only did the 50k) it started raining, were you guys caught up in that?

Had a great day, was looking out for other retrobikers but as I have'nt met many of you wasn't sure who you were.

I had my STS out for the day and she behaved impeccably :D

Wish I had stuck with my first tyre choice of mythos' instead of changing to tioga muds :(

Chris.

Indeed it was a top day out :D Although it didn't feel like it after about
50k, legs turned to jelly at this point :roll: Managed 75k instead so not to
bad considering absolutely no training for this :oops:
To many highlights for me, but some of the best were...

That geezer on the first hill, winter jacket, full face lid, looked like he was going to burst :LOL:

Ed, running down a hill and throwing me on his back, and then running back up to the top in a true SAS/ forest gump stylee :shock:

Not getting cramp

Having Gus and Ed catch me up on a hill after i had been dropped by JV James and Hilts, until then i thought i was on my own :cry: Such a relief :D

The cake stop/ finish line.

Back