Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The Retrobike RetroRoadRide Series 2013

Round 6: The Lake District Passes ride

Mickleden-_2_2589367b.jpg

:: Date: Saturday 21st September 2013

:: Meeting at: 10 am for a 10.30 am start - The Bluebird Cafe. Car park on Lake Road just to the south of Coniston.

:: Directions: Grid Ref: SD308970 ~ Postcode: Cumbria LA21 8AN

:: Contact Number: available via PM from Drystonepaul

:: Route: A total of just over 44 miles or 70 km with 5760ft (1756m) of ascent.
Although relatively short, this route packs in plenty of climbing. This is afterall the Lake District.

Starting in Coniston, there's an opportunity to fuel up at the Bluebird Cafe or any of the other cafes in the village.
We'll head out up Hawkshead Hill before the long descent past the Drunken Duck pub towards and across to Elterwater.
Staying on quiet winding lanes we will head into the Langdale valley taking in the lovely Blea Tarn and the decent to the foot of Wrynose Pass. From Fell Foot Farm it's a steep 2km climb up to the Three Shire Stone at the head of the pass at 1300ft.
The first part of the descent is tight and twisty but the road quickly opens out in a great roll through Wrynose Bottom to Cockley Beck.
To the right the formidable grey tarmac wall of Hardknott Pass slithers up to the horizon, but we will turn left up a gentler route towards the Dunnerdale Fells.
With 22 miles completed, we will stop at the Newfield Inn at Seathwaite for some food and drink. (Menu available on their website)

After a quick leg stretch we will remount and tackle second half of the ride. The majority of the climbing will have been done leaving a gentler remainder. The climb past Stickle Pike is the last significant uphill section though but it reveals superb views of the coast and an enjoyable descent into Stainton Ground. Then a few more quiet rolling lanes will be pieced together across to Lowick Bridge.
We'll then head north along the pleasant eastern shore of Coniston Water back up to our start point.

:: Terrain: Roads in the Lake District are very varied. Some parts will be very smooth whereas other more exposed sections really suffer from winter damage. Expect a few potholes and plenty of gradients. A tougher tyre with lower gearing options would be very wise. A 34 - 28 would be ideal. Effective brakes are also essential.

:: Lake District Weather: There is a saying in the Lake District. "if you can’t see the fells, it’s raining and if you can, it’s just about to". So be prepared!

:: Accommodation: There are numerous options for accommodation if you wish to stay over but you can to find those via the web.

[Note that points will be awarded across the Road Series].

:: NO HELMET, NO RIDE

Route profile
RB-Lakes-road-profile.jpg

If interested then get your name down below:

Re: RetroRoadRide Series - Rd 6: The Lake District - 21/09/1

That will be a great ride, that will be a killer, that is a ride I will miss due to a super busy September and not enough money, that leaves me sad.

Enjoy !

It's awfully quiet on here...

I would like to do this.

I have no idea if I could, but I would like to.... For starters I don't have a road bike. I rode one for an hour or so last winter for the first time in about 25 years or so. It felt most odd.

Will it be like the picture?

Chris.

The photo is looking back along the road climb out of the Langdale valley up to Blea Tarn. If the weather is that good and you are wearing special HDR glasses then it just might.

It is a relatively short ride and we won't be hammering along. It would help if you can ride about 50% of the climbs though. The steeper sections can be ridden at little more than walking pace as it is, but they aren't all that steep.

A road bike would be ideal, but a mountain bike with slicks would also work. The low gearing would come in handy too.

Whatever you ride, make sure it's suitably old...

OK - Hotel booked for the weekend. I'm in, and I will stick an mtb in the car for Sunday on the off chance I can still move my legs.

I'm booked in for the Saturday night at YHA Hawkshead.

Still rooms available there unlike the Coniston Youth Hostels.

drystonepaul":2b9tnbz2 said:
It's awfully quiet on here...

I would dearly love to come for a spin but just can't justify the time away at the mo...i hope you guys have a great ride.

Karl

Hope ride goes well, other commitments mean I will be foresaking the delights of Langdale- which never looks like that in the 17 years or so I have been visiting!- for the unwashed hordes of London and so I'll miss the mountain bike ride on the Sunday too. I'll be thinking of you all...

Back