Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:41 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:23 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Kent, UK
Hi to all

Have just taken the family away for a break in the New Forest (Sway), and it's just occurred to me that the best info would be hidden in here! Have just been searching but couldn't find any specific threads on great rides in this particular area.

Can anyone recommend some particularly great areas / trails for the family on our MTB's? It's a mixed ability group from 9 years old up, so nothing super technical like the Olympic course pls! I'm am aware that the whole area is perfect MTB country, but didn't want to get home and miss the best trails!

All suggestions gratefully received!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:48 pm
Posts: 329
Location: SOUTHAMPTON
My favourites are going along the old railway track towards brockenhurst from burley tea rooms . One of the nicest in the area but out of the forest is the ride along the coast from hordle cliffs ( I used to start from Barton Golf Course) down through the salt marshes and into Lymington. You can push on from there into Beaulieu if you like


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:02 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:16 am
Posts: 799
Location: Camden, London
just go and explore !

can't recommend anything specific but for years we used to head down and base ourselves in Brockenhurst not far from Sway, get some of the good local maps, there are lots of trails which are easy to ride, infact we never managed to find the technically challenging, SWMBO was newly back into cycling so all was pretty easy, we just used to head towards places and see what was there, plenty to see as well as cycling, if not done then Beaulieu worth a visit, even the motor museum if not been, Bucklers Hard (albeit a bit touristy), plenty for all, and lots of nice country pubs for lunch !

let us know how you get on, a friend is getting married down in the forest at the end of Sept and we have just started planning :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:46 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:23 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Kent, UK
ellist wrote:
My favourites are going along the old railway track towards brockenhurst from burley tea rooms . One of the nicest in the area but out of the forest is the ride along the coast from hordle cliffs ( I used to start from Barton Golf Course) down through the salt marshes and into Lymington. You can push on from there into Beaulieu if you like


Many thanks indeed Ellist - sounds great. We'll give the ride from the cliffs a go tomorrow, and the Burley trail during the course of next week sometime. We'll see how long our little 9 year old's legs hold up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:54 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:23 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Kent, UK
daugs wrote:
just go and explore !

can't recommend anything specific but for years we used to head down and base ourselves in Brockenhurst not far from Sway, get some of the good local maps, there are lots of trails which are easy to ride, infact we never managed to find the technically challenging, SWMBO was newly back into cycling so all was pretty easy, we just used to head towards places and see what was there, plenty to see as well as cycling, if not done then Beaulieu worth a visit, even the motor museum if not been, Bucklers Hard (albeit a bit touristy), plenty for all, and lots of nice country pubs for lunch !

let us know how you get on, a friend is getting married down in the forest at the end of Sept and we have just started planning :D


Thanks Daugs. If the forum didn't exist, I'd be doing exactly that... but far better to know where the best bits are from those that know the area better than we do. Would hate to miss a great trail because we just didn't know about it! (and then hear about it when we got home!)

Will post up our experiences as we go along!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:16 am 
Section Moderator & South West AEC
Section Moderator & South West AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:33 pm
Posts: 8157
Location: new forest
the new forest is pretty much non technical, i would suggest nipping into brockenhurst to cyclexperience, they have maps of the area which are simple to follow for about £4, they are easy to find as they are right by the train crossing with the a337. from sway it's only about 3-4 miles.

all the trails are suitable for novice/kids etc and it's mostly flat.

my favourite route is from brock to burley via the disused railway, then towards lyndhurst then back to brock, about 20 miles, it's my main training ride.

:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:19 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:48 pm
Posts: 329
Location: SOUTHAMPTON
Also worth having a little look on the mapmyride website as locals post routes on there too. My main problem in the forest used to be getting lost and having to find a tourist hiking with a map to find out where I was.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:48 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:23 pm
Posts: 973
Location: Kent, UK
jonnyboy666 wrote:
the new forest is pretty much non technical, i would suggest nipping into brockenhurst to cyclexperience, they have maps of the area which are simple to follow for about £4, they are easy to find as they are right by the train crossing with the a337. from sway it's only about 3-4 miles.

all the trails are suitable for novice/kids etc and it's mostly flat.

my favourite route is from brock to burley via the disused railway, then towards lyndhurst then back to brock, about 20 miles, it's my main training ride.

:)


Thanks for this jonnyboy. What's the starting point for this route? (seems like it's Ellist's first suggestion in reverse?)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:44 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:25 pm
Posts: 606
Location: New Forest
This PDF Map should help you, it has all the 'legal' off road (some partially on road) cycle routes listed across the entire forest.

http://mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/Publicat ... p-2013.pdf

Nothing in the forest is too technical for a 9 year old (perhaps save the 25% gradient Blissford Hill near Fordingbridge), and there are coffee and cake shops practically everywhere for when the legs get tired. I usually save the forest for my road riding, so if you see a roadie on a white Felt dressed in black and white Rock Racing kit give me a wave! Enjoy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:20 pm 
Section Moderator & South West AEC
Section Moderator & South West AEC
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:33 pm
Posts: 8157
Location: new forest
rjsdavis wrote:
jonnyboy666 wrote:
the new forest is pretty much non technical, i would suggest nipping into brockenhurst to cyclexperience, they have maps of the area which are simple to follow for about £4, they are easy to find as they are right by the train crossing with the a337. from sway it's only about 3-4 miles.

all the trails are suitable for novice/kids etc and it's mostly flat.

my favourite route is from brock to burley via the disused railway, then towards lyndhurst then back to brock, about 20 miles, it's my main training ride.

:)


Thanks for this jonnyboy. What's the starting point for this route? (seems like it's Ellist's first suggestion in reverse?)



if you buy the maps from cycle x all the routes start from there. :wink: the maps also have pub stops on aswel, they use a mix of forest tracks and country lanes, the occasionally cross a main road but generally pretty good for lack of traffic


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group