Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The Retrobike RetroRoadRide Series 2013

Round 5: MacRetro Presents – The Four Abbeys

9345516696_fb6e5d4836.jpg

:: Date: Saturday 24th August 2013

:: Meeting at: 10 am for a 10.30 am start - Old Station Court, Newtown St Boswells, Borders, Scotland. TD6 0PP

:: Directions: Follow the A68 North and turn left into Newtown St Boswells which lies North of Jedburgh. Follow road up the hill until you see a Royal Bank of Scotland on your left, just past which on your right is Old Station Court which contains a car park beside a grey Cooperative Food Warehouse. Park up here.
If travelling south, follow A68 south until you turn off to the right into Newtown St Boswells. Follow road into town until you see Council HQ (big office complex) on right of road with bank of trees on left of road opposite HQ. At end of trees turn left into Old Station Court and park by grey Cooperative Food Warehouse.

:: Contact Number: available via PM from Velomaniac

:: Velomaniac says: "Well here goes, the first MacRetro organised (well me organised anyways) National Retrobike Road Ride ever. I’ve picked an easy to follow route as for the most part its clearly signposted as route ‘4’ although you can still get lost if you leave me the leader far behind.
I must emphasise that I, your leader am not a racer. I originate in the tourist end of road biking and thus will be for a steady but not fast pace. If you want to get all racer, heads down, chain ganging style, then knock yourself out as most of the routes well signposted. You might though miss the odd turn so I’d suggest stopping to re-group at various points."

:: Route: A total of 55 miles or 88 km.
The route includes at least two long climbs, umpteen short sharp ones, of course thrilling descents and generally undulating terrain with many breathtaking views across the borders countryside. You will see at least 3 of the 4 Abbeys as Dryburgh is rather well hidden by trees and several notable Borders town and picturesque villages. Two suspension bridges and a ford await you though a footbridge exists at the ford plus a wee bit of unsurfaced farm track.

The route starts at Newtown St Boswells by the A68; not the most picturesque town but administrative centre of the region. We'll head east, first to Dryburgh and its well hidden Abbey, then via minor roads to Kelso with it's Abbey and fine Georgian houses sat beside the stunning Floors Castle mansion house.
Then we head south, and then west to Jedburgh via some great scenery and the first long climb of the day. Lunch will be in Jedburgh which contains the third Abbey and has numerous pubs and cafes. The Carters Rest being the best for food but it's often crowded.
After lunch we head north and then west again over more great scenery and the second long climb which is tougher than the first. But the reward is a thrilling descent into the town of Melrose and yet another Abbey. Nice ice cream shop here, then finally east again back to Newtown St Boswells.

:: Terrain: Some of the roads are wonderfully smooth but others are full of pot holes. There are also a couple of small sections which are not surfaced at all. Thus a tougher tyre with lower gearing options might be wise, a 28T at the back for instance.

:: Scottish Weather: Despite the recent heat wave, Scotland is famously green which means it's frequently wet. So come prepared and remember, there’s always a headwind!

:: Accomodation: There are numerous options for accommodation if you wish to stay over but I’ll leave you to find those via the web.

[Note that points will be awarded across the Road Series].

:: NO HELMET, NO RIDE .............. No Woman, No Pride

If interested then get your name down below:

I'll start the ball rolling. Day off booked from work . And I'll take the liberty of adding Velos name.

Velomaniac
Hawmaw

am affraid to say am done with retro rides for the forseeable future. good luck to all those who go to scotland and the rest of the series

I'll be fair scunnered if this turn oot a repeat of MacRetro does Aviemore where hardly anyone, scots excluded, shows up.
So dont upset a very tall Scotsman, I've already reconned the entire route, and get your name down, please !

I have attended every retro road ride so far this year but 600+ miles is pretty insane for a bike ride even by my stupidity :LOL:

Sorry :(

Yeah, come on you Englanders, where are you?

( I'll be doing an early start and coming up the M6 if anyone wants a lift share )

Looking like mtb'ing doon sooth in the Surrey hills is infinitely prefferable to roadbiking in the Scottish borders.

Latest posts

Back