Mountain mayhem soloist corner!!

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Sign in!!

Who are you? What's your plans ? What you riding? Where are you camping? What outcome are you hoping for?

I will start I guess

Daj representing the West Midlands area massive shoes to fill after the temporarily retirement of Ededwards solo antics over the years.

I don't really have a plan as such seemed a good idea when the entry's opened as I do didn't really think about it much until about 2 weeks! Been given lots of advice but know it will all change on the day

Riding a Proflex 856 that I picked up about 4 weeks ago , it's already been built twice and fallen apart twice in two test runs!! Current state 5 days before big event frame and fork hanging on the stand!

Putting up a micro tent in the solo area pending on its quality will be staying there :0)

What do I want to achieve? A finish will be great not just to finish but to be actually making a effort to finish I would like to come away feeling I played a part in doing solo at mayhem not just showed up to get the t-shirt.

So who else is retrobike soloing?

Great idea Dave, nothing like blowing one's own trumpet about the tough task of a solo 24 hour race. Nobody else will.

I'll have my big main tent in the Retrobike area as usual (wherever that may be) but I hadn't thought of leaving a small tent in the solo area. From the venue map it looks as though it's the closest we'll get to trackside camping.
I think I'll put up a tiny tent and leave a food and water stash there to keep me going.

I'm currently planning to take four bikes:

1991 Karakoram Elite (DX M650 groupset with Deore MT-62 thumbies)
1992 Saracen Traverse (XT M732/735 with XT thumbies)
1993 Univega Alpina Comp (DX M650/651 with DX M075 Rapidfire plus STIs)
1996 Specialized Stumpjumper (LX M565 - single chainring 8 speed set up along with Rock Shox Judy XC forks)

They are all more or less period correct with canti brakes. Only the Stumpjumper will have any form of suspension. If you are going to ride for Retrobike then you might as well do it properly...
I'll most likely ride either of the latter two, and use one of the others for a recce lap on Friday.

I'd like to get at least 10 laps in, but I'd really like to get to 100 miles, which I reckon makes it about 12 laps.

My strategy depends on the course and the weather conditions. There are lot's of unknowns with the new venue so I'll see when I get there.
Probably looking at taking a short break to eat and drink every couple of laps, and get between 4 and 6 hours sleep during the night.
Other than that I'll try to take in the atmosphere and have as much fun as possible.

I just hope that the course can sustain my interest for that long, unlike the previous and tedious two years at Eastnor.

Who are you? What's your plans ? What you riding? Where are you camping? What outcome are you hoping for?

longun, aka chris ;) repping north lincs, think im the only one

plan to ride a few laps, drink beer, eat curry as the night draws in, do a few night laps, or how ever many the lights will hold up for, then rave away to the music for a bit. morning ill try n get 2-3 laps in before a cruise to the finish

riding, shamefully my on one modern running xt and 200gs........i kidd you not lol and my pace rc200, disc drive pending how straight i can get it

thinking solo camp but if the crowds got room for a longun im happy to party all 24 hours

hoping to get at least 8 laps in and stay dry.......................and have fun, cos after all, im fat and shit so have no chance of getting on the podium lol

Fair play to the soloists! I'm in a ten manner and I plan on 2-3 laps at least one of them after a couple of beers!!

Splatter Paint (SE Area)

Riding: Pimped 1995 DBR Axis Ti & 2005 Cinder Cone (army-green) for mud duty.

Support crew of parents, wife and small boy! We will have a big, white VW LT35 van plus horsebox as race HQ.

The plan: A: get over a virus (kind of running out of time for this) though the antibiotics haven't done much. B: ride very slowly for a very long time. Stop every few hours for 'real' food and run on Torq bars and High5 gels for the rest.

SP

P.S. have you seen you can't park in the solo area?

Full lap video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWPdpSBjhA

daj":1d1uobx0 said:
Putting up a micro tent in the solo area pending on its quality will be staying there :0)

Attachments

• theres_issues_there_isnt_there_151.jpg
    theres_issues_there_isnt_there_151.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,040
Come on Ed veteran of many mayhem solo expeditions lets be having your top tips for us young virgins to survive the 24 hours :cool:

daj":1jvvknsz said:
Come on Ed veteran of many mayhem solo expeditions lets be having your top tips for us young virgins to survive the 24 hours :cool:

...I would go with redbull! Fair play to you guys! :D

Back