RetroRoadRide Rd 1: Gospel Pass Ride AFTERMATH

Superb day , just had a bath and shattered :D

Will update tomorrow with a full report but just wanted to thank Ed and little Boss for truly outstanding hospitality (again)

66.3 miles 5,534ft of climbing. :cool:

Ah..it was that .3 of a mile that broke the camels back! Great day..Thanks Ed!

Hope out Northern contingent got back safely.

Yep back safely with a surprisingly little cramp on the drive home.
Sore legs though.

Great ride in fairly epic conditions. I'll add more as it comes back to me.

Arrived back at 22.35!!

Great days riding, nice to meet new faces, looking forward to seeing the pics.

BIG BIG thanks to Ed and Vinny for the wonderful food and a great day out. It really was one of those adventures with loads to remember, although that image of drystonepaul doing an effeminate chamois dance may be one best consigned to oblivion.

tarloone did an amazing job tracking us though Hereford, although doing that again will be easier after vivelesalpes decided to leave bits of his chain as a trail marker for next time :facepalm:

Also, many thanks to daj for the lift to/from Hampton Bishop and the good company, I still think the Cervelo was robbed of its chance to shine in the bike of the day award.

So, all in all...Epic stuff. Glad I tracked the route so that I can do it all again in fine weather, might not feel quite the same though :)

Thanks for organising the ride Ed. It was a very memorable day and great to meet some fellow Retrobikers.

I think you have set the mark on the post ride food - over and above our wildest expectations !

Looking forward to the next ride in May on my local patch in the Peaks.

A few thoughts:
- great to get the series up and running and many thanks to all for attending, in particular those who had such long journeys.
- impressive good humour from all at the start despite the National Rides Coordinator turning up considerably late and faffing around with chamois cream, much to the dismay of the arkaela of the local Brownies who were using the Village Hall that morning.
- the only mechanical occurring within spitting distance of the end.
- the bravery of daj in turning up on his "electric yoghurt pot" (Cervelo S2 with Ultegra Di2) with new deep section carbon Mavics. Fortitude was particularly shown when he dropped said wheel down the cattlegrid at the top of Gospel Pass with not so much as a whimper.
- vivelesalpes riding toeclips (with overshoes) and centre pull brakes
- bobbinogs effortlessly dancing up the climbs like they were flat
- tarloone risking his pristine Vitus and Deltas on salt and ice strewn roads
- and talking of ice, the sheet ice across the road almost continually from Llanthony to the cattlegrid was really something, a couple of inches deep in places. Didn't put anyone off, nor did the sub zero temperatures so properly heroic effort in getting to the top in one piece. Fortunately the descent was ice free but the wind chill doesn't bear thinking about.
- the Spirit of the Ride going to Paul for "taking it".
- the Bike of the Road going to tarloone's Vitus (controversially it tied with daj's yoghurt maker but, thankfully, common sense prevailed) with extra kudos almost certainly for riding 42x23.
- big thanks to the Little Boss for the three course spread with a choice of desserts.

A few photos:

"Where shall we drop them next?"
P2230182_zpsb51d8a9d.jpg

Corporate whore
P2230179_zps5554a141.jpg

Martin, considering opening his legs and showing his class
P2230181_zps52d46b6a.jpg

Chopper taking some sage advice from the DS "get on a ****ing wheel!"
P2230190_zps0f00e336.jpg

Ice Ice Baby
P2230195_zpsb9b0c5e7.jpg

20m to the cattlegrid
P2230198_zpsdeacf313.jpg

The peleton hammering along (with a lonely straggler)
P2230205_zps0e4ff71e.jpg

At the top of Gospel Pass - left to right: daj, vivelesalpes, drystonepaul, tarloone, bobbinogs, harrycrumb
P2230209_zpsf9c23152.jpg

Bike of the Ride - check the clearance!
P2230178_zps7031736c.jpg

P2230184_zpsf2d194a3.jpg

Spirit of the Ride
P2230176_zpsc008b0c1.jpg

Finally, after Round 1, we need some points for the overall National Road Series. After careful consideration the following have been awarded (judges decision is final but not that you get 100 for turning up and the rest is gravy):

daj 100 - 25 (plastic frame, electric gears) = 75
vivelesalpes 100 + 25 (toeclips, centre pull brakes) = 125
drystonepaul 100 + 50 (Spirit of the Ride) =150
tarloone 100 + 50 (Bike of the Ride) = 150
bobbinogs 100 + 25 (KoM) - 25 (KoM) = 100
harrycrumb 100 + 25 (too large bike) - 25 (seatpin flutes into frame) + 25 (chain too short "but it's Dura Ace") - 25 (straining rear mech) = 100
ededwards 0 - 200 (for organiser piking own ride) = minus 200

Looks like a top day out chaps, gutted to have missed it, especially as I spend so much time in the Black Mountains area. Always next time.

Back