Feedback
View
CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS
More here:--> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=244246&start=98
------------------------------------------------------------------

The Retrobike National MTB Event Series 2013

Round 1: The Lake District ~ Coniston and Grizedale

:: Date: Saturday 23rd March 2013
:: Distance/time: 18 - 22 miles / 5-6 hours riding (depending on pace and various route options)
:: Meeting at: The Bluebird Cafe. Car park on Lake Road just to the south of Coniston at 10:00am for 10:30am start.
:: Directions: Grid Ref: SD308970 ~ Postcode: Cumbria LA21 8AN

:: Terrain: Rocky and natural Lake District singletrack and trails with some climbs and great descents. It also uses sections of the North Face Trail in Grizedale Forest.
This route avoids the really big Lakeland mountains and, while challenging in places, is very suitable for riding on an a retro machine. Be prepared for the usual changeable Lake District weather. There are some short road sections but the route is mostly off road. A few technical sections and plenty of glorious views and fast descents.
There are also easy to follow short cut options for anyone who is struggling.

:: No Helmet :: No Ride

RB-Coniston-01.jpg

High Tilberthwaite

:: Route Description: This route has a great mix of natural trails, forest singletrack and incredible Lakeland views.
The ride starts at the Coniston Ferry landing. The Bluebird Cafe is a great place for a pre-ride coffee and bacon bap should you wish to get there early.

The route begins with some great singletrack and then a narrow lane up to High Tilberthaite. Then it's across past Hodge Close before turning west to Arnside Intake. From Knipe Fold the ride continues on some quiet lanes and to the edge of Grizedale Forest at High Cross. We'll join the North Face Trail and follow it down to the Visitor Centre for some food.
After some food we'll continue up to Lawson Park, before an optional extra section and then a great descent down and out of the forest to Bank Ground. Then it's a short roll back around the northern tip of Coniston Water back to the start point.

:: Accommodation: There are plenty of B&Bs in Coniston and several Youth Hostels nearby. There are also loads of other accommodation options in the Lake District for anyone wishing to make a weekend of it.

dscf1376z.jpg

One of many great descents.

Last year's aftermath here: --> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=189138

See you there.

------------------------------------------------------------------
CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS
More here:--> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=244246&start=98

Re: Retrobike National Series Rd 1: Lake District ~ 23/03/13

Should be there, deciding on which steed is the only headache, too much choice !

Edit: now booked into Low Wray campsite I hope, too mean to pay hostel or B&B prices so I'll not be getting too boozed up on Friday or saturday night in Coniston as I'll need to negotiate the back lanes back to my tent about 5-6 miles away :roll: :LOL:

For anyone worried about this route being in the Lakes and having loads of mountains in it - don't! I found the route surprisingly easier than I expected, so come along!!

I will be there!!!....... Need to build a bike to ride I suppose. Wonder if the DMR will be ok for this??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :LOL:

Pretty much all the rides last year I rode a bike which I had built the night before. Hopefully I can be a bit more organised this time.

I will be bringing LOADS of stuff to sell, as I am having a big push on clearing stuff out. So bring your pennies along please!! Deals will be done...

This is a good route and I'd reccommend it to anyone. I was planning to go but it's looking increasingly like I won't be able to make it anymore. Hopefully my absence won't spoil it for everyone...

Im hoping to be there, not a good pledge for me doing all the rounds like i promised if i fail at the first round. but if i do the rounds this year i better get a badge. The aviemore round i will have to turn into a weeks holiday considering i have to pay a pound a mile in me floating palace and its a 900 mile round trip.

Think i will use the trek for this round. hope to see you all soon.

thanks andy

no car, no income, no bikes, no ride, no trousers, no socks, no tinned sardines, no fifth gear option on a 1989 Metro, etc,

Sure between us we could fix all that - for starters I've got tinned pilchards I'd be willing to share, it's the lack of trousers that would really worry me :?

I plan on being at this one on an unashamedly modern bike .....

Need accommodation suggestions or Friday night if anyone has any ....

Quite expensive in Coniston now, needed to get in early for B&b's. I found a place for £30 for a single room about 6 miles away on lastminute.com but have decided to make it a day trip now.

Back