2013 Retrobike Downhill race/meet you say??? :)

ChrisBrown81

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well no but.....

Why not have plans ever for a Downhill specific ride on the retrobike calander for 2013? Its purely selfish reasons I put this forward.. As a teen and early twenty's I raced a little downhill (late 90's), purely at local level and with no great results but I loved the feeling of 'race' day....a group of like minded people who were racing down a hill to a stop watch. I know in the lower catagories results didn't really matter (just bragging rights from your mates for a few weeks!) it was more the camaraderie of it all and the fun of being around others who shared your passion. I would love to go to a 'meet' which was a casual downhill event with a qualifying run/timed run still in place and bonus points for the retro fun of it all (distance travelled, retro gear, bike etc). I don't think i'm on my own so i thought i'd throw it our there and see what you thought..

I sent a similar message to 'The Guv'nor' John and he said see what the forum thinks. If there's the interest this could happen. It would be great to see the race bikes of our youths flying down a hill again whilst meeting new friends (and making a few trades ;) )

Can anyone who'd be interested in a meet/event like this speak up and add any ideas you have for it!

Thanks for listening

Chris

Attachments

• 90's.jpg
    90's.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 924
ChrisBrown81":7qnmq5su said:
Tbh i've not thought of that. I'd like to keep it in the spirit of everyting Retro so maybe open to all bikes made before 2003?

You mean you're allowing more than 2" of travel in :shock:
Put one together and see who turns up is probably the best way.

ChrisBrown81":1r2kk4ge said:
Tbh i've not thought of that. I'd like to keep it in the spirit of everyting Retro so maybe open to all bikes made before 2003?
That would be great as I have a 2002 Santa Cruz Super 8, and the wife has 1999 Super 8 :D

I would suggest that you think carefully about the course first

For older bikes you need something that's a bit tamer than the current crop of DH tracks

If its not too far I have a 97 Heckler and 2001 Bulitt that are race worthy

Course suggestions anyone?? To be honest i've not been to a regional race where someone on a hardtail doesn't compete....they are never going to win granted but they still manage to get down in one piece. Its that side of things, the fun of just having a go, I want to recreate...

boxxer":jtv7cila said:
I would suggest that you think carefully about the course first

For older bikes you need something that's a bit tamer than the current crop of DH tracks

If its not too far I have a 97 Heckler and 2001 Bulitt that are race worthy

Quite agree , I used to race down hill in mid-90`s and it was more like a cross country run that you didnt have to pedal !! The last down hill race I saw on the tv i dont think apart from the start and finish there wheels were actually on the ground !! :shock:

Pending location and course I would come along for old times be totally rubbish and walk most of it but come anyway :LOL: :LOL:

im game!!!! :D may i suggest 2 cats, >98 and 99>2003 (10 year gap)

wharncliffe........peaks..........clipstone..........well well game if its fairly localish ;)

Back