Isle of Man End to End - Retro Class

jimmythejamjar

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

I live on the Isle of Man, home to the mighty IOM End to End race. Link here
www.manxe2e.org.

I've been in touch with the race organisers asking them about starting a class for Retro racers. The event started in 1996 so I've suggested that it should be open to bikes from 1995 or earlier. At first this seems quite simple but it opens up a can of worms. Should any potential class allow suspension ? fully sprung ? completely rigid ? how would the organisers check that bikes were compliant ? should modern components be allowed ? perhaps it could be an old frame with anything else fitted? etc etc etc

So what do you think ? What I'd like to do is gather peoples opinions and present them to the organisers. So please leave your thoughts and ideas. If there's enough interest in this the organisers might put on a separate class.

Let me know what you think

James

Always a tough one to call and well worth having a judge who knows what they are looking at.
Augustus has been involved in judging the retro class at the Brighton Big Dog in the past.

To simplify things I'd be looking for some of the Retrobike absolutes.
1) Period correct ~ pre 1995
2) Fully rigid or early suspension forks
3) 7 speed/21 gears or less
4) Canti brakes or early Magura rim brakes
5) Amber/skinwall tyres (some exceptions apply but must be period correct)
6) Thumbshifters

Of course one man's absolutes are another man's bunch of arse.

Hmmm, I've done it the last two years - and will be going back for more!
First time out was on an 1998 Orange MrXC - this year on a relatively modern,for me, 2003 Orange Sub3.

I think to be honest - I'd rather keep the retro rides tidy and race something more modern in the E2E.
My aim is to finish as high as possible overall - and not compromise on, or worry about damaging, the bike I'm riding.
Sorry

I rode it this year on a 94 cinder cone, 1996 Pace RC 36 forks, XT v brakes and mixture of all manner of bits. New wheels - the rear one is now pringle shaped because I was riding like a twat and hit a rock - 7 Speed thumbies (but an 8 speed cassette - i know that'll make some people wince !) and black tyres. Is this not retro enough ? It's more of hand-me-down jumble bike than a period correct racer. Personally I think that an old frame and forks (pre 9:cool: with rim brakes, maguras, V's or what ever you want to run should be acceptable.

The keen eyed will have noticed that my jumble bike fits nicely into this class !! anyone else got any thoughts ?

Your post made me think tyres and thus asked a question regarding retro tyres in mtb section that got a few pertinent responses.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=277573&p=2071364#p2071364
If there is to be a retro class the bikes must still be safe to ride and not sport period correct but potentially worn out retro equipment thus maybe go for more modern blackwall tyres.

Back