Retrobike National Series Rd 4: Yorkshire Dales - Aftermath

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Another brilliant day out. Many thanks to the organisers and those who attended. More to follow I'm sure :)

Yes another fantastic ride!
Thanks to Vern & Marc for all their hard work organising and to Marc for very generously supplying the various different prizes.

When I got up this morning at stupid o clock and looked out of the bedroom window at the fog and heavy cloud the last thing I expected was to be riding under blue skies and sunshine and coming home with sunburn :LOL:

This was my first ride in this area and it is a fantastic place, hope we visit it on a more regular basis now :)

Anyway here are my pics from the day.

IMG00348.jpg

IMG00349.jpg

IMG00350.jpg

IMG00351.jpg

IMG00352.jpg

IMG00353.jpg

IMG00354.jpg

IMG00355.jpg

IMG00356.jpg

IMG00357.jpg

IMG00358.jpg

IMG00359.jpg

IMG00360.jpg

IMG00361.jpg

IMG00362.jpg

IMG00363.jpg

IMG00364.jpg

IMG00365.jpg

IMG00366.jpg

IMG00367.jpg

IMG00368.jpg

IMG00369.jpg

IMG00370.jpg

IMG00371.jpg

IMG00372.jpg

IMG00373.jpg

IMG00374.jpg

IMG00375.jpg

IMG00376.jpg

IMG00377.jpg

IMG00378.jpg

IMG00379.jpg

IMG00380.jpg

IMG00381.jpg

IMG00382.jpg

IMG00383.jpg

IMG00384.jpg

IMG00385.jpg

IMG00386.jpg

IMG00387.jpg

well im glad someone listened and pre booked the good weather, highs of 20c and no rain, i now have sunburn!

big thanks for the very well organised route, great riding and decents, good food and great crack :cool: :cool: :cool: only a few crashes, but we all got roung fine enough.

i didnt take my phone out much, so sadly only these pics below, glad to know plenty of others snapping away!

10fb13ca.jpg

023ef046.jpg

c5a53643.jpg

ebf4b236.jpg

504f77ac.jpg

bd1314be.jpg

c02065e9.jpg

3ea38004.jpg

79dfe63d.jpg

82c9ff61.jpg

421a5a6a.jpg

593c9c41.jpg

im nicking the ones of me for facebook as i didnt take many :cool: thanks folks, really enjoyed this at a bad point of my life it has been quite a rewarding day :D ;)

Sunburn, Trench-foot and Mud Glorious Mud

So Noah had been building his ark all week, then the floods came....
What looked like it was going to be a total wash out turned out to be a ride with a bit of every thing.

We arrived at Swaledale early to recce the sections which looked most likely to be flooded, Lady luck was on our side their was a lot of standing water....
But the river Swale was still where it should have been, so all seamed well with the world. We had arranged to use a field for our car parking, this proved to be a taster of what was to come.

Picture002.jpg

After parking our cars at the swimming pool we headed for the start of the ride, The Dales mountain bike centre this is the best start to any ride.
With all the athletes fed and watered it was time for the group photo.

Picture013.jpg

Now the ride can begin, using a quite road to gain some height and warm cold legs the riders one by one stop to shed layers of clothes.....
Its warm and dry and we are all dressed for cold and wet.

Picture025.jpg

We regroup at the turning to the first B/W and take in the views, there's lots of ways to describe Swaledale.. Beautiful, Desolate, Wild, Inspiring, the one I prefer is unspoilt but I'll let the pictures prove the point...

Picture030.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture022.jpg

From here we head round and up on to the moors on well surfaced shooting tracks, everyone looking forward to the fist downhill.
The action is fast and furious as we speed down to the water splash.

Picture059.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Climbing again we head for Great Pinseat, a strangely beautiful landscape
with its piles of waste from the mines that used to dominate the landscape, but now a playground for mountain bikers and walkers alike.
The downhill from Great Pinseat is fun fun fun with some thing for every body and the similes at the bottom are testament to it.

Picture079.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Picture097.jpg

Picture100.jpg

Picture105.jpg

All down safe its time for more uphilling to the legendary Gunnerside gill,
this is where an elite group of racer boys got ahead of the ride leaders (no names mentioned to protect the guilty) and they went for it, after giving chase I stopped a passing landrover and asked the driver to inform the whippets that they where going the wrong way....

Picture110.jpg

Picture116.jpg

Picture130.jpg

Once we were all regrouped its time for the star of the show, the descent down Gunnerside gill, this descent has every thing and is a must for all mountain bikers.
From technical sections, to water splashes with fast off camber grassy singletrack it truly is MTB heaven, also the sun came out to play.

Picture131.jpg

Picture133.jpg

Picture134.jpg

Picture142.jpg

Two thirds down we stop to take in the views and start to think about lunch, the sun is still shinning and we have a short hill to climb before the final B/W descent.
Its fast greasy grass that turns in to a rocky section, then to mud and finally back to rocks, a couple of riders find out how greasy it is sliding body's and bikes down the hillside.

Picture161.jpg

Picture182.jpg

Picture195.jpg

Picture209.jpg

Picture210.jpg

Lunch Time (The chimps tea party)

We had prearranged lunch at Ghyllfoot tea rooms and they didn't let us down, relaxing in the warm sunshine with fine fare and a cold pint, life just can't get any better.

Picture219.jpg

Picture216.jpg

Picture221.jpg

Picture226.jpg

The waterway home

The final few miles back should of been a bimble along the banks of the river Swale, in reality the flash floods had left hub deep puddles and mud...
Which to the amusement of some made it a ride to remember, two riders came a cropper in almost the same spot one ride tried to inhale the deepest of all the puddles and the rest of us slipped and slid our way back to the end of the ride.

Picture232.jpg

Picture237.jpg

Picture264.jpg

Picture261.jpg

Back at the car park/swimming pool we ready ourself's for the awards at the Dales MTB centre and rewarded's of coffee and cake.
I can't remember who received what but here's the pics to prove to the wife that you,ve not been spending more moneys on old bike tat :LOL:

Picture277.jpg

Picture279.jpg

Picture283.jpg

Picture285.jpg

Picture287.jpg

Picture291.jpg

Thanks to everyone who made the day a success and braved the Great British weather.
Extra big thanks to the Dales MTB centre and Ghyllfoot tea rooms.

Link to my album of pics:- http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx10 ... 07%202012/

Happy trails from the North East & Yorkshire Area Group.

What a ride! How can I get so wet on my bottom half, despite wearing full waterproofs, yet this happened on the top half!

223c0c8a.jpg

Fantastic day out chaps thoroughly enjoyed it. I too have sun burn :shock:

I have had both knees in ice and not looking forward to waking up in the morning :(
A big thanks to Vern and Mark for another top job :D

Highlights of the ride....

Getting to ride a new bike after spending all night building it. :rollseyes:
Being wrong about the weather - that I don't mind!
The beautiful scenery
The great route
As usual, the great company. Nice to see everyone again.
Winning joint bike of the ride and the awesome prize. I will be posting scans of Triathlon Man on Monday. :-D
The awesome coffee at the Dales MTB centre - not so much the car park!!
Lunch was really nice and they seemed to cope with people ordering food miles better than the southerners....

Some things I'm still confused by....

Why it was assumed I knew what "top decking" was.
Learning what "clenching" was. I'm never having a house party again. :shock:
Seeing the disappointment that I wasnt going to do a whirlwind dirty protest in the bistro
How people think that the terms "lake" and "car park" are interchangeable.

I'm obviously still learning.... ;-)

you done well though matey, got round the full route!

fc4aa72c.jpg

little over 20 miles, and actual riding time was 2:31 :cool:

Latest posts

Back