A Southern raid in to Wales! late july/early august

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
would anybody be up for this?

i seem to have a bit of a pattern developing, i regularly hit the trails in Wales, frankly for me i think it's the best trails within a sensible(ish) drive.

what i am thinking of is hitting Cannock Chase after i get back from the Alps at the end of July, i would stay out there another week but i can't as it's a group thing with some friends and i still have a week off after i return.

my plan is to return on the sunday (morning) clean the bike, then jump in the van the next day (monday 30th july or worst case the tuesday) and head up to Cannock chase, it's about 3 hours drive for me but i think it's a better ride than Afan (or maybe i have just been too many times now)

the benefit of Cannock chase would also be that it is pretty central if anyone wanted to join up with me, which would be nice.

then after the ride i usually head to where i am right now, Dolgellau, the Royal Ship inn, it's pretty cheap, i am paying £90 for 2 nights including b+b and wifi but if 2 people share a room for 2 nights it's usually £40 a night each, which is pretty good, there are camping spots but they are quite far out of town and away from the pubs, i know that sounds cheap but to me it also sounds boring and uncomfortable, at a hotel we can get back here, cleaned up, fed and watered with internet to show everyone else what they are missing! which i think is worth it.

my usual itinery is this:-

day 1
drive to cannock, ride, then drive on to wales to arrive around at hotel for 6.30pm, food/drink etc

day 2
ride coed y brenin, dragons back trail is good, the beast is harder and longer but i'd need alot more miles in my legs before i could do that. back to hotel, food + beer

day 3
ride the MBR trail, a bit shorter than the dragons back but i usually add the adams family trails (from the dragons back trail) which are a lot of fun making it a better ride but not too long considering the third day riding, i find this leaves me finished around 2pm at which point i use the showers then have munchies and then hit the road home.

if you want to see where these places are on a map, here are the postcodes:-
cannock chase WS15 2UQ
royal ship inn in dolgellau LL40 1AR

3 days of very good riding or just pick one and turn up.

any thoughts?
:D

I'll be up for this :D

Re; Adders :roll: 196 reported bites in the UK, with 23 of those in Wales.
Somehow that makes Wales a hotspot? Strange logic if you ask me :D

i got back yesterday after ridng at Brechfa with makster and some of his buddies, that's a good trail, 1st time riding there, bit of a pain to get to and i was told 3 climbs and 3 descents, when i saw the valley it starts in i thought oh bugger my legs are on their 4th day and i'll probably die a death but the climbs aren't that constantly long to be a major issue and the downhills are brilliant.

i hope we can get a group ride in wales, it will be awesome to have a few people to ride with.

:D

Latest posts

Back