Cannock chase...the aftermath

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
just to kick this thread off.

Well it was still dark when I turned up at 7.45am and who should I meet but ededwards prowling the car park looking for unsuspecting rabbits to snare and eat raw...

We waited a little while till Gump and Softie (?) Scott arrived and that made the hardcore foursome who did the early ride.

I'll let others fill in the details as I am making this brief, we got back from a cracking ride after following a dog and going down on a Monkey, or something like that (!!). Back at base for 11am and onto ride part 2.

There was a cracking turn out, must have been 25 or so of us, too many to name individually but have a look at the original thread and I think everybody who said they would turn up did.

A loop of the Red route, back to the cafe to line the bikes up in age order (how sad are we?!), then out again for one more loop of the red route or a visit to the Quarry.

A fantastic day, no major injuries no major mechanicals, just a major depletion of brake pads and a major load of fun :D

Photos and video has been taken for incriminating evidence. I'm sure it'll be posted up in due course.

As details come back to me I'll fill in what I remember of the rides and some priceless quotes heard during the day. Over to you...

I've just made it back from Cannock....a great day and a good turnout.

Lots of muddy bikes to add to the competition now ;)

Cracking rides and enjoyed putting faces to user names which is always very interesting. I think I'll leave cleaning the bike until Jan 1st. the mud should have dried a bit by then so I just need to dust it off.

Our first Retro Meet and it was awesome. A real great bunch of people who made me and my girlf very welcome.

We arrived at 1100, greeted by the lads and off on a red route social. Nice ride and plenty of breaks for chats. Back to the cafe, but my girl started to feel a little uneasy when the "age order" parking was enforced! Soon got into it and her Zaskar got plenty of attention. After tea and food we split into two groups and decided to have a go at the Red Run again. Great ride, plenty of mud and have just ordered more pads from chainreaction.

Cheers all!

What a great day. This was my first meet and it was good to put faces to user names. The bike is still in the car festering until tomorrow. Pain is kicking in now, that was the furthest since one day in the summer. Bruises have appeared in places I didn't remember landing on? Looking forward to the photos, and possibly even a video of MadcowKev finding the deepest part of the muddy bit to wallow in!

orange71":2y9pj7ej said:
Well it was still dark when I turned up at 7.45am and who should I meet but ededwards prowling the car park looking for unsuspecting rabbits to snare and eat raw...

Curse you for denying me breakfast (my excuse for shameful performance on the early ride, although was put off my stride by the unfettered glee with which Scott, Andy and Ed went down on the Monkey)

I've just returned my crusty, gritty bike to the shed and clothes have been placed in a bucket outside to protect the washing machine innards.

Great ride in really good company and thoroughly enjoyed the dodgy dealings from out of the backs of cars (suggest this is a more formal feature of future group rides, perhaps built into the schedule?)

And how many of the BOTM contestants get a good riding and end up as muck covered as mine and Kev's did today, surely candidates for Dirty BOTM for December (hint - don't forget to vote if you haven't already!)?

Yep a great ride, shame about the company ;)

Thoroughly enjoyed loitering towards the back with my Olympian level of fitness, and no half wheeling in sight. There's some great riding to be had in Cannock
I'm gutted that I missed the jumble though...though my bank account probably isn't!

Not sure I'm looking forward to seeing the piccies. I think on the first one I came close to tagging the back of the diskdrive (on the red Fat?) as my SPD's decided they'd release for some comedy moment...a "face of fear" moment I'm sure. On the second one through that "puddle" (insert your own better term) I managed to grind to a halt in the deepest bloody bit as my mech cage decided it wanted to get intimate with my chainstay. Ho hum.

The Cafe there also needs some award for their bacon butties! Can we institute a "top bacon sarnie" award?

Anyway, nice to meet you all, I look forward to the next one.

Crell...the interloper on that modern piece of junk.

ededwards":2zxod15m said:
Curse you for denying me breakfast (my excuse for shameful performance on the early ride, although was put off my stride by the unfettered glee with which Scott, Andy and Ed went down on the Monkey)

Sounds like I'm pleased I missed the early "ride" :LOL:

Back