drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The NE&Yorks/NWA/EastMidlands Three Tribes proudly present

"Mass Trespass"

Saturday 21st of April

:: Start: Station Rd Car Park, Hayfield.
:: Post Code: SK22 2ES
:: Grid Ref: SK036 869
:: Google Map: here
:: Time: 10am for a 10:30 start
:: Distance: 15 miles approx
::Terrain: Single track, double track and quiet country lanes.
:: Difficulty Rating: 3.5/5

:: No helmet : No Ride ::

1plaque.jpg

It's the 80th anniversary of the Kinder Mass Trespass and to celebrate this we are hosting a ride from Hayfield to Edale and back via the closest legal route to Kinder Scout.
As some of you may know one of the main organizers Mr Benny Rothman was a keen cyclist as well as a rambler.

The route closely follows the one from the 1992 guidebook below, but with a minor detour into Edale for lunch. (Please note that we are starting the ride in Hayfield and not Edale as shown on the map)

guidebooks03.jpg

We will be riding over some exposed parts of the Peak district so please bring appropriate clothing and refreshments. The route takes in the climb of Jacob's Ladder, The Roych and Chapel Gate; all Peak District classics.
This is a typical Peaks ride with some steep hills and fast rocky descents. A spare tube and puncture repair kit would be advisable.

Difficulty 3.5/5????

That depends VERY MUCH on what you're used to! I'd say this is as hard, if not harder than the National Peaks route, it's certainly a lot rockier and steeper. The climb over Jacobs ladder is a living nightmare, I am not joking.

I'll be making every effort to come though!!

Kaya graded the route. He eats rocks for breakfast though. There are a few tough stretches, but alot of it has been resurfaced since the book was written. The Roych Clough section is now part of the Pennine Bridleway so it's been tamed quite alot.
There is no denying that Jacob's Ladder is one hell of a climb though. I like it.

It is a good five or six miles shorter than the Peaks route and doesn't actually have quite as much climbing.

Don't be frightened off just yet though...

That route is miles better clockwise, the other way to the guide book. Down Jacobs ladder (technical but not mega rocky), up to Mam Tor, down Rushup Edge (one of the best downhills in my opinion) and a easier finish along the Roych is a lot better. Going west from the top of Jacobs Ladder is a long downhill but it's just football size rocks most of the way - very hard work even on a 6" travel modern freeride bike and not in a fun way.

It isn't my ride though, so it's not my choice, but I've ridden that route many times both ways!

Rob Atkin":3gd40eh1 said:
That route is miles better clockwise, the other way to the guide book. Down Jacobs ladder (technical but not mega rocky), up to Mam Tor, down Rushup Edge (one of the best downhills in my opinion) and a easier finish along the Roych is a lot better. Going west from the top of Jacobs Ladder is a long downhill but it's just football size rocks most of the way - very hard work even on a 6" travel modern freeride bike and not in a fun way.

It isn't my ride though, so it's not my choice, but I've ridden that route many times both ways!

What drugs are you on Rob ?? :LOL:

The route is fookin rubbish clock wise (except for Jacobs descent) Ive done this route more times than you,ve changed your under pants and its ALWAYS BETTER anti clock wise, as for the grading its a 3.5 out of 5.
The way rides are graded is 5 is a near death experience, 4 is a epic, 3 is manageable for an average rider, 2 is a bimble on mostly flat ground but in the 15ish miles and 1 is a short flat ride with no hills.
And for needing needing a 6" freeride bike............ the drugs are to strong for you :LOL:

Ps
The ride is not the exactly same as the route we will be taking as we will be descending down Chapel gate, also the descent from the cross on kinder scout to hayfield only has one short uphill and makes it an easy finish to the ride.

cheers kaya

Ooooooh you're a cheeky fella....

I think in the Dark Peak there are so many types of descent and everyone has their favourite - then someone else likes to ride up your favourite downhill!!

It'll be an awesome route any which way. It's a route which I think I'll prefer to the National Peaks route personally - and not just because it's quicker for me to drive to Hayfield! ;-)

BTW I don't need the 6" travel bike - i'll be doing this on my Rocky!!

How many people have come along to this one in the past? Should be quite a few if it's a 3 tribes get together.

This route is the very 1st ever proper mountain bike route I did back in ~'95 I'd been riding a mountain bike for quite a few years before but never ventured out into this sort of terrain

It was a proper eye opening experience, we did the ride in late March and it was still pretty chilly with snow on the top of the peaks!

We did it anticlockwise and may well have had that very guide book page photo copied as our guide

Much as I'd love to join in on this ride and be taken back about 17 years I think it would be to much to soon after my op to risk it

If this ride is run yearly I'll be there next year

Have fun, this is a classic route for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back