ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
RetroRoadRide bought to you by Karl and Spence from Church End Brewery

:: Date: Saturday 2nd June 2012

:: Distance/time: 50 miles / 5-6 hours riding (depending on pace and food/photo stops)

:: Meeting at: Church End Brewery, Ridge Lane, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0RD (contact no. 01827 713 080) at 10:00am for 10:30am start.

:: Directions: We are situated just off the A5, about 2.5 miles from Atherstone. You head out of the town towards Coleshill on the B4116 and turn left up towards Ridge Lane. After about 1 mile turn left into Ridge Lane itself and we are on the right hand side, 200 metres down the road. Look out for a sandwich board with our logo on it opposite the turning to the brewery. The drive to the brewery is between two end terraces, no's 106 and 108. Keep your eye out for a green picket fence!

:: Terrain: This should be a pleasant meander through rural Warwickshire with a foray into the flatlands of Leicestershire. We'll take in the villages of Shawbury, Maxstoke, Arley, Snarestone, Hartshill and Stoke Golding to name but a few. Plus we'll be passing through Market Bosworth and out on 'The Gated Road' to do battle with sheep, ramblers and cattle grids! There will a few short sections of B roads to link all the lanes together but mostly we will be enjoying some very pleasant cycling indeed. Ample opportunities for stops, rests, sarnie breaks, fixing and bodging, removal of hedge-clippings etc will be provided. Those with an interest in history will enjoy Stoke Golding and Crown hill, where Henry Tudor was crowned King of England. Lots of rolling hillocks but nothing too really test the legs. Those doing it fixed will get a little something :)

:: No Helmet :: No Ride

:: Apres ride: A couple of beers..... : the brewery will be open all day for anyone to purchase drinks , although please note children aren't allowed in any of the bars. A special 'Retroride' beer will be being served as well. Anyone who does the ride will be treated to a free brewery tour if they so desire! If you're lucky you'll get Karl, if very unlucky you'll get Spence as your guide :)

:: Accommodation: There is a large 'beer' garden attached to the brewery that is more of a small field. Weve had a couple of groups use it before. We try to keep numbers of people to 20 -25 ish split between approx. 5 - 8 tents depending on their size. We put the the tents at the back end amongst some trees so it's quite nice. Were pretty rural here so all we ask is to drink loads of beer :0 and keep it down after the pubs shut. Toilet wise you've got the pub / brewery toilets till 23:20 ish and then a brewer is normally in from 0730 - 0800 plus also lots of hedges! If anyone wants to lock their bike in the brewery overnight they can. There is no charge for camping but if you do want to camp then please indicate on the thread so that there is an idea of numbers . While we are out if anyone wants to leave stuff in the brewery they are more than welcome. It's always locked and separate from the bar areas.

Partcipants:
- grumpycommuter
- ededwards
- daj
- icarus
- drystonepaul
- nevadasmith
- feetabix
- BobCatMax
- legrandefromage
- matthew71
- HarryCrumb
- Old Ned?
- weeman_mtb
- The Guvnor

Attachments

• dn.jpg
    dn.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 11,158
Even though I don't have a retro roadbike, this still sounds fantastic.
I shall do my best to be there, hopefully with something suitable to ride.

drystonepaul":3h3cl7xz said:
Even though I don't have a retro roadbike, this still sounds fantastic.
I shall do my best to be there, hopefully with something suitable to ride.

A retro bike is not required but it's certainly preferred although if it's a choice of 'modern bike or don't attend' then come along with whatever road bike you have.

That said, if you come over all modern then expect some good natured ribbing, especially if there are any mechanical mishaps.

ededwards":ogm3q5n5 said:
That said, if you come over all modern then expect some good natured ribbing, especially if there are any mechanical mishaps.
The usual format then...

drystonepaul":4iln1tch said:
ededwards":4iln1tch said:
The usual format then...

Exactly although at least you should have good legs from the Whitton....

Oooh, I'm tempted by this, as it's only up the road... :cool:

I can bring modern and retro road rides, if anyone dares to try whichever I don't... :D

Back