Snowdon or bust: Retrobike Raid - Poll added...

Official Retrobike raid on Snowdon viability?

• Interested

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Interested

• Open to persuasion

• Total voters

We_are_Stevo

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
...has it ever been mooted that we have an official Retrobike raid on Snowdon?

I know it's nearly five miles of UP :shock: but after an Oggie (you haven't lived if you don't know... ;) ) and a cup of tea it is nearly five miles of down... :D

Camping here...

http://www.campinginllanberis.com/

...couldn't be more convenient, and Fiona offers very reasonable rates and a wealth of info on the area.

Obviously there are rules regarding when this can be done...

Snowdon Access Agreement:
There is a longstanding agreement between the Snowdonia National Park Authority
and the mountain biking community over access to Snowdon and its bridleways.
All bridleways leading to the summit and the Cwm Llan bridleway are out of bounds to
cyclists between the hours of 10am & 5pm from the 1st of May to the 30th of
September. The Maesgwm or Telegraph Valley route is unaffected by the agreement.

...so perhaps April would be more favourable?

One consideration I would certainly be in favour of would be casting-in-stone any potential date (ie: The last w/e of the month every year), so that it would be possible to book the time off at work well in advance??

There could also be a Snowdon 'Banner' for those that take part??

Just a thought...

Wow! If this was a weekend I was free and I could arrange to get there this sounds amazing.

Definitely an intriguing idea.

Riding up and down Snowdon has been mooted a few times in the past. I first did it myself back in 1997 on the Bravado I still own today.
Personally I never found it to be that great an experience in terms of actual riding. There are some great sections though.

The North Wales area group isn't particularly large or active at the moment, but there have been several great rides in the area over the past couple of years.
Not done Snowdon yet though.

drystonepaul":2i4x62jm said:
...Personally I never found it to be that great an experience in terms of actual riding...

I think it should probably be classed as more of an 'achievement' than anything else, and certainly worthy of a Banner??

...and probably more achievable in the context of an official Retrobike team/group effort rather than individually or with a couple of mates??

...and I say this as a lardy old fart who desperately needs to lose at least 48lbs :shock: and get some energy back into these battered legs! :oops:

I've added a Poll to this thread; if it gets enough interest it may help in the organisation of any potential event... :cool:

After walking up it a few times I've always wanted to ride down. I'd go down the Rangers Path then turn right, a bit of up then down the Telegraph bridle way - that's the best way to go down - the railway path is a bit boring and bound to have more people on it anyway.

BUT if I was going to ride it I'd do it on my modern Specialized Pitch as its very rocky. I know I can ride it all on a rigid retro bike but you'd have to go pretty slowly.

Of course you should ride it on a retro bike and preferably a fully rigid one.

Any more talk of using a modern bike and I'll delete this thread and refer you all to STW.

Back