It's That Time Again

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
Tomorrow is that special fall day in Fairfax when a thousand or so of my bestest friends go for a ride together, on the thirty-somethingth Appetite Seminar. Weather looks good, but cold. This time I'm leaving impossibly early, in the cold and dark around 7:00 a.m. Told my mates I'd call them on the cell, but I wouldn't wait.

Dropped my bike off at the LBS for a tune-up. Josh, the mechanic who worked on it, will be setting up a traditional full bar at the top of Repack, where the event finishes up, so I contributed a few bucks to the cause. This time I have to make the loop before he closes shop at 1:00. Six hours may not be enough.

The girls at the Java Hut, where things start from, say the coffee will be free. That's a lot of coffee.

Re: Loss of appetite...

mrkawasaki":2iyclpld said:
Is that the Java Hut opposite Sunshine Bicycles...??

Mr K

Mr K shows off his local knowledge.

Back from the ride, showered and rested. Rousted Gary Fisher at 7:00 and rode with him and his GF Sheila. Both of them hammered me. Out on the trail, ran into Jacquie Phelan and Joe Breeze and posed for photos.

It felt like old times, sliding into a corner on Pine Mountain with Fisher cackling and pushing me hard. At least I could keep up on the descents, since he was riding a hardtail and I had the cush.

Let's see if I can load these photos in the right order.

Fisher celebrates with a brew at the top of Pine Mountain.

Riders bunch up at the top of the Pine Mountain descent, which is one of the best in Marin County, but condemns you to a tough climb out of the canyon.

I couldn't believe how many "mechanicals" I passed on my way down Pine Mountain. I heard one tire blow, and saw a lot more that had. On one corner I found three guys working on bikes.

Fisher and Sheila, me and Joe Breeze (with club jerseys).

Attachments

• Seminar_07_GF_CK_JB_2.jpg
    Seminar_07_GF_CK_JB_2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 2,436
  • Seminar_07_TireFix.jpg
    Seminar_07_TireFix.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 2,436
  • Seminar_07_PineTop.jpg
    Seminar_07_PineTop.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2,436
  • Seminar_07_Fisher.jpg
    Seminar_07_Fisher.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 2,436
I'd loved too have been there with a Trimble.

That looks cold :shock: come over the pond to here and then you will feel cold :LOL:

Looks like you had a perfect day :D :D :D

Every ride needs this. Josh the mechanic trailered in a complete bar, with coffee making equipment for hot toddies. Sorry, no ice, no beer. Plenty of heavily laced coffee, however.

Here's Gary lining up for a shot of courage before we continue on to Repack, less than a mile away.

At this point a couple of guys with GPS and bike computers said they had logged between 3250 feet and 3300 feet of climbing, with just a couple hundred more left to do.

Attachments

• Seminar_07_GF_Josh.jpg
    Seminar_07_GF_Josh.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 2,408
Back