West midlands Present 7th of August Cheltenham Aftermath

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Back , Eaten and chilling out from a fantastic spin around retrobike`s historic sacred grounds :cool:

Great ride and were growing!! 5 of us in total today

Many thanks to Russell and rupe for their local knowledge of the trails and putting together pretty much a horror ride for me!! :LOL: not being a great lover of heights the natural landscaped trails were super scarey!! :shock:

Many highlights

-meeting even more new retro peeps
-waving at Russ while passing in the car (he was half way up horrific road climb)
-arriving early!!
-Nevadas Salsa (very special , love the fact the man actually rides them :cool: )
-Straight into technical downhill mode (kinda) :shock:
-Banter
-The trails that i have ridden around but never knew existed
-The walk of shame :oops:
-The heckling
-The look on Russels face "it was a pinch flat" :shock:
-my new knowledge of Nam`s dogging areas
-my Nice pint :cool:

-Lows

there wasnt really apart from hating the height issue`s !! :?
The Salsa having freehub issues causing chain breakage
Russels punture that could of been very nasty (look at piccy!!)

All in all a great time had by all (i hope)

Where is next then?

IMG00225-20110807-1154.jpg

IMG00224-20110807-1148.jpg

IMG00226-20110807-1326.jpg

Cheers Dave, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm pretty embarassed to be the only rider that wasn't on a 15yr old bike, but I've got that in hand and hopefully will have something nice and retro for the next ride.

Anyhow, nice to meet new faces as ever. I'm keeping that nail as a momento, might take it to work and put a hole in it so I can wear it round my neck :LOL:

Still gutted I never made it, though can't complain, got out three times in two days with about 8 hrs of riding in total :D

p.s as predicted got in about 4 am sunday morning :D

Cheers Chaps, thoroughly enjoyable ride (and pub stop). Great to get to know some trails around where I live!

Hopefully attached (crap mobile phone - whited out the near mint paintjob on the Salsa :cry: ) pic of ride, or rather not riding but attending to mechanical.

Dave

Attachments

• 2011-08-07-11-49-34-092sml.jpg
    2011-08-07-11-49-34-092sml.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,215
Love the photo , that was when I got told off to do something useful :LOL:

He does make a good bike stand doesn't he!

Fun ride - tough one for the first ride of new build, but its good to push these retro steeds on the steep technical stuff - long stems - now I know why modern bikes don't have them!

I think years of not being used had made my freehub indifferent to freewheeling! Copious amounts of GT85 have fixed the problem.

Thanks to Russell and Dave for organising. :D

nevadasmith":2mkghd7o said:
Fun ride - tough one for the first ride of new build, but its good to push these retro steeds on the steep technical stuff - long stems - now I know why modern bikes don't have them!

Short stems help, alot; But a ride like that is a good reminder just how capable these old bikes are.

My Dave Yates is coming along nicely now so all being well I'll be riding retro on the next ride too :)

Back