Three Peaks Cyclocross 2011

Ok, invitation to enter accepted so what will follow is daily, self indulgent, stream of conciousness posting that tracks preparations and thought processes from now until event day and beyond.

First post - why, dear god, why?

Best sign up to this one, just to enjoy the troughs of self-loathing during the preparation run... :D

Support much appreciated.

Now, where to get some competitively priced Landcruisers.....

After todays pathetic efforts I am as pathetic of mind as I am of flesh. I am therefore preparing a stem sticker that reads "I am weak willed scum". If there is enough interest I can produce some for general distribution.

But all gradually drifted away by taking over the past three weeks, too lacking in discipline to even post.

But what have I done during those three weeks? A bit of tennis, ridden the Olympic Road Race Course, snapped the chain on the cyclocross bike. And knackered my right shoulder and wrist. Oh, and gained about 4 lb which should stand me in good stead on the climbs. Pathetic weasel. And not even time to rectify matters.

I am filth.

And now it's just a week away.

Fitness is nowhere near where it should be and confidence is in tatters after the Peaks Meet last weekend (I persuaded myself that the even-for-me lack of confidence downhill was due to a Ruddock influenced hangover plus a pickled egg or two before the off but that clearly didn't account for the pathetic showing in the afternoon). Thankfully off the bike carrying and pushing skills are as key as any bike handling competence although the fact that I have done none in preparation isn't particularly comforting. It looks like I'll have to rely on the tried and trusted formula of dogged determination and self-loathing although there are only so many times a man can go to the well before it is dry.

On an upbeat note, the bike is prepped and tested (set up exactly as in 2009 although the Landcruisers are new), apart from a bit of cosmetic cleaning yo come on Friday it's ready to go into the back of the car. Cantis obviously don't really work (although they do look way Belgian which surely must count for something) and brake judder is impressive but that should be more than offset by the cool chainstay protector (applied before my ownership, obviously).

If anyone is in the area next Sunday and fancies heckling/supporting/pointing it would be great to see you - look out for SuperGeoff in front and me way, way out back.

Attachments

• IF Planet X 3 Peaks.jpg
    IF Planet X 3 Peaks.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,894
Back