Retro Ale Wobble, Llanwrtyd Wells, Wales 17th/18th November

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I would like to extend the invitation to fellow retrobikers to the 2007 Real Ale Wobble.

This is a NON-COMPETITIVE mountain biking event which takes place in Britain's self proclaimed smallest town, Llanwrtyd Wells, near Builth Wells in Wales - home of the man vs horse and world championship bog snorkelling.

Essentially you turn up on the saturday morning, register, then ride off with 300 other mountain bikers into the wilds of Wales (mixed terrain, nothing too technical, and even that can be avoided) on waymarked trails of between 15-40 miles (up to you), where every so often there is a stop where you can find manned kegs of BEER (real ale no less!) to assuage your thirst!

All in good fun, all off road (well, 99%), so no danger of drink-cycling!

Then on the evening of Saturday there is a beer festival in town at the 3 pubs, with a marquee and bands playing, hog-roasts etc.

Accommodation is available but most might be booked by now, however there is always the option of the playing fields, a 5 minute walk from the town centre where you can camp for free or sleep in your car.

Here is the link: http://llanwrtyd-wells.powys.org.uk/eve ... wobble.htm

Book in advance if you wish to save yourself a fiver. There is also a ride on sunday for those of you brave or sober enough to do it. Myself, I've never managed it :roll:

Breakfast may be possible for small numbers at one of the pubs that usually serves it up for us when we have been in the past - at the landlord's (Bernie's) discretion. We may need to ask nicely if large numbers!!

There is also the possiblity of a nice sunday lunch in Hereford at a pub there we usually frequent, though places may be in short supply. I need to check if at least some can be booked in advance.

This will be my 11th appearance in a row and can assure you of a good, fun weekend. I know there are those of you who have been before - you may remember our stair diving competition, or the blue nose club...

Retro bikes requested, but not essential!

Who's up for it then? I will be attending and ededwards has also put his hand up :cool:

llanwrtydwellsvy7.jpg

orange71

this looks good, i missed the dad's army meet due to family commitments but this fits in nicely....have you booked accomodation or are you roughing it in the car/tent?

Longy

P.S Are you riding retro?

I'll be roughing it in the car on the playing fields I expect! If you need better accommodation try the local tourist info - there are bunkhouses, rooms at the pubs etc etc.

Yes I'll be riding retro - haven't decided what yet, but the Delta V900 came out of the dad's army ride well, so might be on that. ededwards will be riding retro too - he too has yet to decide which steed.

would be great to meet you and any others who couldn't make it to the dad's army ride.

[Disclaimer mode ON]: I should mention as it does in the link, please ensure you (not you personally longendale, but anybody attending!) are suitably equipped for such an event and ride within your capabilities - I can't be held responsible for any incidents - this isn't my event, it is organised by others. I am just flagging it up to see if any of you would like to meet there.[disclaimer mode OFF]

roughing it.... :shock: well, ive done V festival and that was roughin it. But may get the tent out again...just looked on routeplanner and it's a fair trek (over 3 hours) but would be up for a drive down friday night and camp over...looks like an early start on the saturday. :(

I should be ok on the riding, but not so sure about drinkin and ridin...i'm a bit of a lighweight when the ales flowing, but hey i'm up for a laugh! ;)

Longy

seriously it's all fun, no rush round the route, and to be honest my big drinking days are behind me! A couple of jars and good company are the name of the game. On the route itself you don't have to drink, but it makes for a good stop and chance to have a swift half if you want.

Right then....just need to see if i can get down there on the Friday night (i've got my son that night) but failing that i'll drive down saturday mornin... :)

Longy

Yep, definitely in and looking forward to it. I've done a couple of Man v Horse plus been there when the World Bog Snorkelling Championship was on and Llnwrtyd is a strange place in a very good way.

Re. bike choice, could you give us some idea of the terrain please Ed? Good for ss? Cantis? Single, double or triple chainrings? Grassy/muddy or rocky and rooty? Hills? I appreciate many of these depend on conditions but wisdom from a man of experience would be great.

It'll be all sorts - fire trails, grass, bogs, roots, singletrack, streams, hills - you name it. Nothing too technical (or th can't be walked through). I was thinking front suspension at least, 3 chainrings, you might get away with canti's. Thing is because it's not a competition you can take your time so if you want to go SS rigid then no problem, and I have seen it done, but I wouldn't!

Latest posts

Back