Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:25 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 pm 
Dirt Disciple

At the end of May I decided to enter my first ever mountain bike event. I thought 10 weeks or so training and I should be at a half decent level of fitness to take part.
Right now I am convinced I am simply not supposed to do this race, having said that there is no way I am going to drop out!
First off 3 weeks ago my bike on which I was planning to race was stolen leaving me without a bike. I did however find my way onto this site and back on track for the race with a proposed build as well as a temporary bike to keep me riding.
Then, just over week ago I decided it might be fun to give myself a huge gash on top of my thumb keeping me off the bike unable to change gear or grip with my right hand.
Today I got the stitches out and all seems to be going well with the healing, my thumb does seem to have forgotten how to grip and I cant bend it too far otherwise the cut will come open again. I should be able to get 3 good weeks of hard riding in.
Cue the next problem!
I will now be going to the race by myself to ride solo with no pit crew, my partner now cant make it and I know non of my 'friends' will be able to make it. This I can deal with but what I really need is advice on how to best tackle the race on my lonesome.
Anyone else attending this event, would be cool to pitch together and have a retro corner of the site ;)

Yours determinedly,

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:09 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I'll be there on my skanky modern bike unless it is raining in which case I'll be on the 1995 DBR Axis which I don't mind getting muddy! I'll blend into the crowd on the modern, but I'll stick out with my Diamond Back jersey and massive RetroBIKE sticker on the Axis. Give me a a shout when I go past :wink:

SP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 pm 
Dirt Disciple

if you see him check what wheels he is using

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=#1181540

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:42 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

That was a long, wet race! Dropped to 32nd in the rain but clawed it back through the night to get 17th in the pairs. :)

How did you get on?

SP