Kluncours d'Excellence

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
I have friends who do public art with ceramic tile. These artworks use private funds to put art in public places. Their most well known local project is a ten foot obelisk in the town where I live. The surface is covered with hand-made tiles depicting local history and landmarks.

The newest proposal is for a project in Fairfax recognizing the local "Repack" race as the birthplace of modern mountain biking. This will be displayed on a wall that is currently "decorated" as a cinder block barrier around an electrical distribution system.

The first fund raiser will take place on July 10 in a park in Fairfax. My new band ("Mark Twang") will break out of the studio for our first public performance, and in connection with the theme we will be holding in informal Kluncours d'Excellence to show re-created and original klunker bikes of the sort that were used in the original races.

Master of the klunker craft and MTB HoF inductee Alan Bonds and several of his disciples will be there with bikes.

Repack Rider":292n9fnp said:
I have friends who do public art with ceramic tile. These artworks use private funds to put art in public places. Their most well known local project is a ten foot obelisk in the town where I live. The surface is covered with hand-made tiles depicting local history and landmarks.

The newest proposal is for a project in Fairfax recognizing the local "Repack" race as the birthplace of modern mountain biking. This will be displayed on a wall that is currently "decorated" as a cinder block barrier around an electrical distribution system.

The first fund raiser will take place on July 10 in a park in Fairfax. My new band ("Mark Twang") will break out of the studio for our first public performance, and in connection with the theme we will be holding in informal Kluncours d'Excellence to show re-created and original klunker bikes of the sort that were used in the original races.

Master of the klunker craft and MTB HoF inductee Alan Bonds and several of his disciples will be there with bikes.

This sounds amazing!
It's when I read things like this, I wish someone would hurry the hell up and invent a teleportation machine :D

Here is the poster for the Fairfax event, based on an original Repack race poster.

Flashback_Benefit_Poster_Scan.jpg

Pix from the event.

Attachments

• klunkers.JPG
    klunkers.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 855
  • rs1.JPG
    rs1.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 855
  • bonds2.JPG
    bonds2.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 855
  • bonds1.JPG
    bonds1.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 855
As ever thanks for posting up CK. Hope the first gig went well...

and any more of the RS1 with original hope rear disc? :)

Love the poster and would love to see more pics, did you raise enough for the mosaic?

:cool: :cool: :D

i'm still so gutted about the Old worlds being cancelled, i think a pilgrimmage has to be on the cards

Wow, that's amazing. I love the idea of the community getting together to fund community arts projects.

I think there is quite an appeal to those who frequent the pages of Retrobike.co.uk, how about asking for contributions from members? Perhaps in return they could be rewarded with some pictures of the completed artworks?
Perhaps you could set-up a just giving site, and ask The Guv'nor if it's OK to link to it from Retrobike. http://www.justgiving.com/

Also, did anyone video the event? I'd love to see it :cool:

Back