Dad's Army Peak Ride - FINAL BRIEFING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
This Saturday!

Meet at the George Hotel in Hayfield centre - 10am to start riding by 10.30am. If you are going to be later please call me on my mobile (PM me for it this week) - we must get going by 11 latest as it gets too dark to ride safely by 7pm.

If you are not staying in Hayfield overnight - suggest you park in the Sett Valley Trail carpark over the main road (follow brown signs), as Hayfield has poor on street parking options.

Weather looks favourable - only rained for a day this week (with none forecast for 5 days), which won't be enough to render the conditions muddy. We're on fast rolling hardpack for most of the route, along with some technical tracks and a sneaky downhill into Edale. Inevitable climbs are the first road one out of Hayfield, and a relatively short hike up to Hollins Cross after lunch. Everything else is rideable - if in short bursts for those of limited lung capacity.

At a pace that Max and I can comfortably achieve, we're looking at 2 1/2 hours to Edale, then allowing 3 hours returning. I'm suggesting we ride as a group to Edale lunchstop, then off up to Hollins and Mam Tor. Anyone with a competitive streak or excess energy can thrash back from there -if they wish you'll have had the benefit of riding the route in reverse in the morning and it's near impoosible to get lost. I'll be giving everyone a printed route map on the day just in case.

Here's the route and notes in full:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en& ... &z=13&om=1

We plan to have a 'safety car' at the Edale stop with tools and wheels etc. Anyone who can't hack the ride back can get a lift at this point (for a cash fee - see driver). If we are collectively behind schedule when we get to Mam Tor we can opt to road ride from there - which would take an hour.

Saturday evening we can all eat at The Sportsman Inn, where we have a room reserved and will have a rather anal MTB pub quiz with some dubious prizes...

Although I'm not your mother - I do recommend you check your bars and brakes thoroughly, one more time! Please consider wearing a helmet - as the rocks around here are not soft. Lastly, remember that I am not an official organiser nor am I a medic. You ride of your own free will and hopefully within your capabilities.

Any further queries - post them here and I will do my best to answer them before Friday night. I will post a final list of riders attending tomorrow - please update me if you have changed your plans.

Let's do it!

ARP Hodges

Attachments

• arthur 1.jpg
    arthur 1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 3,477
  • Hayfield Central.JPG
    Hayfield Central.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 3,477
  • Hayfield Ride Start.JPG
    Hayfield Ride Start.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 3,477
  • NewDadsLogo.jpg
    NewDadsLogo.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3,477
oooh i could crush a grape, rip a tissue, wrestle an action man....

very excited about the coming weekends fun, despite having a nasty cold which could potentially develop into the life threatening MAN FLU....

Hope today goes quickly....

lol

Well I need to change my tyres tonight and may put on the red gore tex cables that are destined for the Salsa.

You can do this all night in the garage while I go for a nice sleep ;)

Hilts":yok3exz2 said:
very excited about the coming weekends fun, despite having a nasty cold which could potentially develop into the life threatening MAN FLU....

Glad I'm not the only one then. Can't wait for the meet - just fear not being able to breathe on the ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back