This is on next Saturday 27th. I will be there at the jumble offering some of my better quality collectors items.
The day consists of a programme of events including:
1. Classic Cycle Jumble in the track centre 10:00 am – 3:00pm
2. Race the new Scalextric Team GB cycling set. This new kit goes on sale on 1st September and follows the traditional slot racing format, with two miniature cyclists dressed in Team GB outfits. There will also be Hornby London 2012 toys and souvenirs on sale. In the Riders “D” 10:00 am – 3:00pm
3. Display of Reg’s MG TD Sports car that he raced in the 1952 RAC Rally of Great Britain and a display of Reg’s motoring trophies. Car on show in the track centre 10:00 am – 3:00pm. The owner, Paul Critchley will do a talk at the vehicle at 2.00pm.
4. Cycle Art – a gallery of images and sculptures by local and international artists for display and purchase in the new NCC foyer 10:00 am – 3:00pm
5. Meet Evans Cycles staff in advance of the new Evans Cycles store opening at the National Cycling Centre, they have the upper concourse shop with their popular marquee sale, with 30 bikes on sale! 10:00 am – 3:00pm
6. Reveal of new pictures by Graham Watson of Chris Boardman’s career in Boardman’s Bar, upper concourse 10:00 am – 3:00pm
7. Opening ceremony at the Reg Harris statue by Jennifer & Mike Oliver. Jennifer is Reg’s widow. 11:00am
8. Meet Manchester Wheelers, Manchester Wheelers reunion/display, 11:00 am – 3:00pm
9. BC Hall of Fame launch on the upper concourse, with newly inducted recipients. Upper concourse 11:15am
10. Leisure ride to Fallowfield Stadium site – hosted by Friends of Fallowfield Loop line – a guided ride with the history of the loop line on the way and Reg’s former residence in Levenshulme (no blue plaque yet!) – a safe off road route from 12:00pm
11. Fallowfield remembered – memories from those who were there. Meet the stars who rode at Fallowfield, including Cyril Bardsley, Geoff Cooke, Tommy Godwin, Alan Partington, Jack Tighe, Les West, and Derrick Woodings. If you rode there as well, please come along! Including the premiere of a DVD of rare footage of Fallowfield racing, including colour images from the 1970’s, and the last images of Fallowfield, after it closed, courtesy of Rayfilms. (Also on sale during the day) 11:30am Harris Suite/Boardroom
12. Fact finding for a new book on Reg, to be printed after the Heritage Day, so the day’s events are included in the book with William Fotheringham, the author. From 1:30pm
13. Meet up at the “Where are they now bar? On the level D in the track Centre to meet old friends from 12:00pm
14. The Pinkerton Collection – a talk by Doug Pinkerton and a Tour of the exhibits on the Upper concourse 12:00pm & 2:00pm
15. The Story of George Barnes – Powered flight at Fallowfield by a cycling champion, a talk and book signing by author David Snow “The Story of an Edwardian Record Breaker, Sportsman & entertainer” 1:00pm Harris Suite/Boardroom
16. Sale of Reg Harris statue limited prints
17. Meet Julio César León, the first Venezuelan athlete ever to compete in the Olympic Games. He rode the Herne Hill Olympic Games cycling in 1948, as is now 86 years old. Julio raced in the same event as Tommy Godwin. Venezuelan TV are filming a documentary about his goodwill visit to the UK. 2:00pm Harris Suite
18. “Maestro” – a BBC documentary about Reg – DVD on sale, and William Fotheringham book signing at the Rayfilms stand 2:00pm
Well worth a visit I would have thought.
Today is the yesterday of tomorrow.