Retrobike Peaks Dad’s Army Rideout October 13th and 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Following the twin successes of the North Downs meet and the Retrobike show and racing teams at the Mountain Mayhem 24 hours, we now bring you our first end of season spectacular – the Dad's Army Rideout!

Based in Hayfield, Derbyshire – chosen for it’s perfect location at the foot of the Peak District hills and because it’s Arthur Lowe’s birthplace – we will be hosting a Saturday morning and afternoon ride, an evening Retrobike pub quiz and games and a Sunday morning ‘eggs-over-easy’ recovery ride before heading for home after lunch.

I’m devising a short 2 hour warm up ride in the morning (suitable for 'have-a-go' partners!), followed by a more epic 3-4 hour ride on the Saturday afternoon. If you do both rides you'll get as much cycling as you did on the Downs without the repetition or, hopefully, without people getting lost! Sunday’s will be a more gentle but scenic loop of about 2 hours (suitable for partners and kids - if demand is there?!). I will pre-ride the routes to ensure that there are enough challenges, but not so many that will damage our venerable bikes! Full details and descriptions will follow in due course.

Those of you coming from any distance might be wise to take up accommodation on the Friday evening to be ready for the morning; those travelling for the Saturday need to be at the first ride start for 10.30am sharp at The Sportsman Inn car park.

If you are late arriving or prefer to get a lie-in on Saturday morning, then you can pick up with all the other riders at the Saturday lunch halt – which will again be at The Sportsman Inn between 12.30 and 1.30pm. The Saturday afternoon ride will start at 2pm.

Accommodation – I have phoned all the pub-type accommodation listed below today and show their latest availability and I won’t be doing this again! So it’s first come-first served as of now. If these fill up there are many more in the area and I will post more details if/once that occurs, basically anywhere in or near Hayfield is fine.

For those of you who want to join in the inevitable references and gags from here on in, here’s a refresher…

http://www.mgnet.karoo.net/dadsarmycharacters.htm

For the record, I have dibs’d the position of Sgt Wilson! :LOL:

ACCOMMODATION

Hayfield – Dad's Army Headquarters SK22 2LE (Google Maps)

The Sportsman Hotel
Kinder Road
SK22 2LE

01663 741565

Accommodation available: 1 dbls/ 2 twins/ 1 single

http://www.thesportsmanhotel.co.uk/accomodation.htm

The George Hotel
14 Church Street
SK22 2JE

T: 01663 743691

Accommodation: 5 twins – from £35 per night

http://www.pub-explorer.com/olpg/the-ge ... /index.htm

The Royal Hotel
Market Street
SK22 2EP

01663 742721

www.theroyalhotel.co.uk

Accommodation available: 2 dbls/twins - £60 per night (room rate)

Just up the road – overspill!

The Lantern Pike Inn
Glossop Road
Little Hayfield
High Peak
SK22 2NG

Tel: +44 (0)1663-747590

Accommodation: 5 dbl or twins – from £35 per night

http://www.lanternpikeinn.co.uk/index.html

PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT BOOKING ON ANYONE ELSE'S BEHALF - PLEASE DEAL DIRECT WITH THE ACCOMMODATION.
I will keep a central record of all bookings so let me know when you are confirmed!

Any queries - post them here or pm me!

Neil

I'm so not going to be Pike. I'll be the doddering old fart one that doesn't know what day it is.

Is there one that regularly changes outfits unecessarily?

:roll:

ooh - might be able to make this one, first Retrobike outing!

Don't know which character I'd be, never watched Dad's Army. May have to do some research!

Sounds great, day after my birthday so may require some negotiation and pleading but I'll get on the case now

Would hope to be there - should be okay.

Can you give us an idea of route Neil? From experience PD can be pretty hard on gear - guess the NOS Attitude's and Disco's should stay home?

Soft and fluffy

I can vouch that the pub car park is safe enough for a Klein and possibly even a disc wheel... :LOL:

As mentioned at the top of the thread, I'll post a full route map nearer the time (with photos of any pointy bits) so that people can make a decision on what steed to bring. As a rule of thumb though, it's fair to say that the Peaks probably don't welcome garage queens!

I'll be riding rigid and I ain't no bike handler - so that should give most doubters some confidence that the route will be very rideable...!

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back