Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:12 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:39 pm 
National & North West AEC
National & North West AEC

Once it's been seen, it cannot be unseen.

Much like the incident with the bear.

EDIT: Incident should be incidents plural. There were far too many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:58 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Sounds like an ace weekend and look forward to hearing more. :D

BTW, Orange have loads of pictures of you lot on their facebook page. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:13 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Sounded like another great event I missed :( maybe next year.

here's the Orange Photos... might need to cut and paste it.

http://www.facebook.com/search/?init=sr ... 3663356166

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:36 pm 

As everyone else has already said what a brilliant weekend :D

Thoroughly enjoyed it and top marks to Neil, Ed and anyone else involved for organising the event.

Looking forward to seeing some more piccys :wink:

Really hoping to be able to make next years event as that should be awesome.

Chris.

Post subject: owmbc10
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:36 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

well done EASY_RIDER!!!!
and all who entered...takes some guts!

that P7 looks ace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:50 pm 

Well,

For me, a thoroughly fantastic weekend, so glad I part of it (and the scenery :lol: :lol: ) Great to be involved with the Alpinestar display, and of course to Meet Tim, the man who put Alpinestars on the map for me BITD. 8) 8) 8)

A thoroughly good laugh from start to finish, nice to put some names to faces (avatar's) and credit to the organisers I think 8) 8)

Apologies to my riding partner chris, for being a VERY weak link in the events :oops: :oops:

And many thanks to everyone that stopped to help me, the local lads for the pain killers and sling, Mark for carrying my bike down the mountain and Neil for running me to hospital with my dislocated shoulder. 8) 8) :D :D

So, a picture below, of the xray, courtesy of the hospital, apparently referred to as a posterior dislocation, but stangely nothing to do with my bottom, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: owmbc10
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:57 pm 
Section Moderator & South West AEC

marc two tone wrote:
that P7 looks ace.

do you mean the P7 that ben from Orange is riding? that's mine! it's the one that "xioly" gave me as an unfinished project a while ago. it came up rally good and he was giving it proper stick aswel! 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:58 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC

GT-Steve wrote:
apparently referred to as a posterior dislocation

To those who don't know their arse from their elbow :D

Hope your feeling better Steve and your first day in your new job went ok. Thanks also for all your help with the alpinestars presentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm 
Pumpy's Bear
Pumpy's Bear

Ok, here’s some thoughts with incriminating photos later (I can be induced to ‘lose’ some of these).

- 7 nationalities this year, just one down on last year. As Barry Davies would have it, “but where were the Germans?”. Indeed.

- The Tim and Mark Show. Tim Davies had a blinder with stories and anecdotes from racing at the very highest level in the early 90s, more than ably backed up by the amiable host channelling all the interviewing greats – more gravitas than Paxman, prettier than Church, camper than O’Grady.

- The Guvnor on Saturday night, cutting loose. I’ll leave it for others to fill in the details but suffice it to say that by midnight his mechanism had gone and, at 2.30 a.m. and 7,500rpm (“come on, we can get to 8”), so had the the engine in my wife’s car. Legend.

- Ruddock photographing a naked Bruce Willis from the widescreen TV in the bar. Blue Zeus indeed.

- the reaction of Gav to being the OWMTBC10 Champion. When he was first called up as the winner he didn’t move and I was a little concerned that he’d popped to the bar. A totally worthy Champion and here’s to him defending his crown in 2011.

- Tim Davies, class act. Some ex-pros turn up, do a Q and A, show off their bike and that’s it. Not Tim. He turned with his dad (his mechanic BITD and a really nice chap to talk to.) and family and threw himself wholeheartedly into the complete event. Marshalling at the end of the 2nd XC Stage, I’ll always remember him screeching to a halt, buzzing with the fun of riding the Ti Mega for the first time in 18 years. The Spirit of the Event award has found a new home.

- discovering from a Retrobike Quiz answer that Gary Coleman not only starred as Arnold in ‘Different Strokes’ but also rode for the all conquering early 90s Raleigh team. Who knew.

- loads of great bikes which made judging the Concours d’Elegance on the Friday night pretty tough. Mel presided over affairs with a firm hand and a critical eye for fine detail with one prominent member of the site having his bike’s provenance queried; “do you have a certificate of authenticity with you?” Picking a winner was tough but in the end it had to be Chris Jackson’s 1986 Mountain Goat WhiskeyTown Racer http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114512 which he then ragged round the trails the next day.

- Ruddock swinging the lead by disappearing to a nearby spa for some pampering during the XC part of the event (ok, he said that he took Steve to hospital with a dislocated shoulder but as they strolled in smelling of jojoba and kelp bang on 9 p.m. for the prize giving that had been delayed just for them I have my doubts).

- Kean and Jonnyboy willing to do anything at anytime, no questions asked. Chaps, there’s always work for the pair of you in Brighton......

- the Sunday ‘Hair of the Dog’ ride which, despite two maps and two GPS, ended up not as a relaxing hour or so on the Penmachno singletrack but two and a half hours of fireroad climbing heaven. Singletrack is for fools.

I’ve probably forgotten loads of people and incidents but then if I could remember it accurately, I probably wouldn’t have been there. A final thanks however go to Max, Neil and Mel.

California Dreamin’

Ed

Attachments:
Winner.JPG
Winner.JPG [ 75.8 KiB | Viewed 1743 times ]

Last edited by ededwards on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 pm 

hope it sorts itself quickly!! how did the first day at work go? did you say you were pissing about on old bikes with some daft people in wales? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next