MM - The Learning Curve

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
This thread is to talk about what you/we might do differently if you went in 2008... no criticism should be implied or taken from this year (just want to catch your thoughts whilst they're fresh)!

Neil

Next year I am definately taking cameras and documenting our efforts at various good vantage points around the course. Through the night especially.

And I'd have made more use of the energy I had at night and ridden after you Neil and actually used my lights!

And I wouldn't have done a back to back and buggered Heathy's (and the team's) chances of another lap!

I think we definately need more non-riders for Retrobike stand duties too. The stand was ace and I'd like to have spent more time there for sure.

Overall though I think we approached it really well and not uptight etc like some teams I saw shouting at each other yesterday! Good effort and great attitude all round.

oh yeah, I'd bring some matches next time...;)

I'd put some petrol in my car before getting on the M50 !!

I thought it was great, Gus has some good points above for next time.

Was it you Hilts who I saw on the M50 - I honked a lot as I realised it was a retrobiker but it was probbaly too late!

I think if Im ever going to be forced to race again I need to have to put some training in first! And buy a modern bike as that made it so much easier.

Here goes:
1) More training required than tennis and riding for an hour and a half up the local woods
2) No picnic eggs
3) Take cigar out on penultimate lap because it may actually be the last lap
4) Realise that mud tyres mean tyres that shed mud not tyres that collect mud and become 3.0s
5) Don't enter again

I'm guessing that I will likely ignore all the above with the possible exception of 2

right my hands up for a ride next year.
didn't go for it this year, cos was just 'dipping-my-toe-in' regarding the scene.
but was really sulking when, not involved in the racing.
fast time's not on my agenda, but would have really loved to have ridden the course and shared the bonding experience of the bumps/mud/night riding/DJ in the woods & gorilla :shock:
so i've reviewed the garage and got a 'rider' for next year.
top weekend, al.

MrK, more constructive points;
1. tel contact details sheet (searching for other members amongst approx 10,000 people, rather random!)
2. a larger gazebo, or more butted together to create better stand accomadation.
3. a scaffold pole type stand for hanging numerous bikes from the saddles.
4. consideration as to costs on these events, so that 'subs' could be paid to cover any stand/accom/t-shirts/blah.
alan

Taking some of Allan's points on board I don't think we need to be in the main retail area. As the camp site is subdivided into areas we should aim at organizing one of these into a RETROBIKE village Gazebo's in the middle to cover and show bikes we camp around them Put up a few notices to show the way a few announcement's and the people will come.

your right, i went to this meeting in order that i could see other decent retro bikes, and chat with other retro folk, knowing that the cost of a large marque (spell) in the concourse area which we could sleep, chill and gather would be huge!, the idea of a retro village and hub in one of the campsites, where the bikes don't have to be fuffed about, sounds good.
if we could get organised and get a pitch near the campsite climb, then we can cheer and heckle each other through the 24. what do you think?

Back