REMOVED

Re: Mountain Mayhem Race Jersey thread

Last week I was on a work outing to Bikepark Wales.
There where lots of 'rad' people there, and it seems the dress code is Fox. Every one looked like they where sponsored by Fox. My friend and I where the only two riders in lycra.
Discussions at work have led to a riding gear brand of Badger, with a casual wear offshoot of Stoat.

May I recommend 'Badger' plus a simple suitable logo of a badgers face may be a good idea for a team jersey of non rad riders?

james1985":1xavol07 said:
Every one looked like they where sponsored by Fox. My friend and I where the only two riders in lycra.
Discussions at work have led to a riding gear brand of Badger, with a casual wear offshoot of Stoat.

May I recommend 'Badger' plus a simple suitable logo of a badgers face may be a good idea for a team jersey of non rad riders?

Agree with that; the lack of sartorial imagination is overwhelming! My only issue would be that I think badgers are pretty rad... ;) :LOL:

Retro Spud":3ljfcgkt said:
How about defunk Retro sponcers from the 80’s and 90’s such as QuickSave or Linbar or Gateway / Safeway’s just for a spoof

Last year someone brought a cask of ale from a micro brewery they own or have a stake in - would be great to give a bit back if they did it again

If we're keen on having a glut of 'sponsers' logos I think this is a really cracking idea! Also there must be plenty of members who have contributed to the site who have things to promote - Johnnyboy's bike shop venture for example - would be great to recognise them with a free plug!

Hi All.

Some great inputs, thanks to all. I'll deal with things in no real order, from posts this far:

Retro Spud":1axdr91z said:
Gruff":1axdr91z said:
@Regan
Has anyone asked the Guvnor for permission to use the Retrobike name/Logo? just as a courtesy.

I think that ship sailed a few years ago, If ever there was a place - of the people, by the people and for the people .... Its today’s Retro Bike

I think it’s clear by the lack of input of late - we’re by enlarge totally on our own these days,

Personally I wouldn’t waste my time with a PM, really appreciate what John did and mean no malice here - but he’s walked away !

TBH Gruff I'm embarrassed to say I haven't :oops: It was an assumption that it would be okay. I briefly discussed picking upo the baton of designing - even making and selling - new RB jerseys with Gil a few months ago. But lots have moved on since then, and I really don't want to get involved on directly infringing on the RB brand.

Spud has hit the nail on the head and I've seen & heard all about issue with the Guv'nor and the site. Nuff said. On our own we are.

Anyway, the trademark is no longer valid so it's free to use, legally speaking. Al-onestare is pretty much on the money with comparing to the legal date on the site. (Unless it really is 2015 and I'm typing this from the DeLorean?)

Moving on...

Logos: As per above, and just FYI, I'm well enough versed with the ins and out of registered trademarks and use or misuse, therof, having previously registered my own. It's a legal minefield, with the little knowledge I have I could navigate well enough around some things, but NO WAY JOSÉ am I getting into a potential legal wrangling with a multi-million value, multinational company, such as Apple, Halfrds, VISA, McD's, Philip Morris, etc, who have they're own in-house lawyers who'd relish rinsing anyone over even the pettiest of logo misuse.
I am also not in favour of making a fag packet branding (this is retro MTB, not retro F1), cheap and nasty corner shops from yesteryear branding, or a "free plug" to Johnnycomelately or whoever. You want ads, you pay for them.

BUT, in the spirit of getting a pro-look and just for fun, I am willing to explore the use of old MTB logos, and even putting a call/email into those who are still in the marketplace, but the likes of Shimano - who not everybody loves for their own reasons - might be willing to allow use of their logos but wouldn't allow them to be displayed together with Suntour or SACHS or similar, same goes for Orange, Hope, Pace (I should imagine) being happy to let us use their logo on a jersey, espeically if it's free advertising, but probably not alongside similar or competitior companies like Whyte, Stif, Magura, RocKShox, etc. I don't know how to articulate it better in text form, but those companies might want the whole lot or nothing at all.

And I am willing to have a bit of fun with making anything anyone wants if there's no written trail! As in, pop round for a cuppa, we chat, ketch and discuss ideas in a verified discreet location, no phones, nothing in writing, pay me in cash, and I physcially hand deliver a full on Crapple, Halfrauds, Shisa, Stiffy, CockShox, Shitmano, ShitGripf, whatever. But that AIN;T gonna happen, being realistic.

Making a replica of an older jersey or a combination of styles might work? Maybe a combination of familiar old school designs, like a montage> 8 sections, 4 front 4 back, 2 different sleeves, with the colours/patterns of retro favourites? (Thinking as I type....)

The Fat Chance team design
Kona Joe Murray design
Orange spots
Klein colours
Yeti design
Shimano blues and greens
etc.
Like those 50:50 football or rugby shirts that used to get sold, like half Everton half Arsenal, or whatever?

I also love the Badger idea i.p.o. FOX, but that COULD get tricky, depending how it's drawn and displayed (context). I did mock up DoG and CoW a while ago in the FOX tail logo style. That kinda keeps it visually on point, and possibly the right sort of funny/complimentary for FOX?

Getting late. Losing the plot. Will sketch something soon/over Crimbo.

Not sure if the mix of jerseys would work, too much going on. Maybe just single colours for each panel and sleeve, kinda like the fat chance bike with every tube a different colour?

Also maybe just a picture on front, or back, similar to the Yeti headbadge, old guy on bike type thing. Instead of loads of sponsers?

Maybe a check shirt style, old school klunker, i think synros made one? loose fitting also?

:LOL: just a few thoughts :xmas-big-grin:

mkone":ee1wawwk said:
Not sure if the mix of jerseys would work, too much going on. Maybe just single colours for each panel and sleeve, kinda like the fat chance bike with every tube a different colour?

Also maybe just a picture on front, or back, similar to the Yeti headbadge, old guy on bike type thing. Instead of loads of sponsers?

Maybe a check shirt style, old school klunker, i think synros made one? loose fitting also?

:LOL: just a few thoughts :xmas-big-grin:
Love these ideas Mark! :cool:

I think a colour per panel should be the theme. Next we need a decision on logos / names? Or just RetroBike logos? Maybe the official Mountain Mayhem logo, too? I'll ask Pat or Alex at MM about that.

Will get a mock up done next week. :xmas-big-grin:

Reggie

Pat has retired it’s now Jill in full control of the event, I’ll send you her contact info via a PM

regan_ev":3jj44t31 said:
Hi All.

Some great inputs, thanks to all. I'll deal with things in no real order, from posts this far:

Retro Spud":3jj44t31 said:
Gruff":3jj44t31 said:
@Regan
Has anyone asked the Guvnor for permission to use the Retrobike name/Logo? just as a courtesy.

I think that ship sailed a few years ago, If ever there was a place - of the people, by the people and for the people .... Its today’s Retro Bike

I think it’s clear by the lack of input of late - we’re by enlarge totally on our own these days,

Personally I wouldn’t waste my time with a PM, really appreciate what John did and mean no malice here - but he’s walked away !

TBH Gruff I'm embarrassed to say I haven't :oops: It was an assumption that it would be okay. I briefly discussed picking upo the baton of designing - even making and selling - new RB jerseys with Gil a few months ago. But lots have moved on since then, and I really don't want to get involved on directly infringing on the RB brand.

Spud has hit the nail on the head and I've seen & heard all about issue with the Guv'nor and the site. Nuff said. On our own we are.

Anyway, the trademark is no longer valid so it's free to use, legally speaking. Al-onestare is pretty much on the money with comparing to the legal date on the site. (Unless it really is 2015 and I'm typing this from the DeLorean?)

Moving on...

Logos: As per above, and just FYI, I'm well enough versed with the ins and out of registered trademarks and use or misuse, therof, having previously registered my own. It's a legal minefield, with the little knowledge I have I could navigate well enough around some things, but NO WAY JOSÉ am I getting into a potential legal wrangling with a multi-million value, multinational company, such as Apple, Halfrds, VISA, McD's, Philip Morris, etc, who have they're own in-house lawyers who'd relish rinsing anyone over even the pettiest of logo misuse.
I am also not in favour of making a fag packet branding (this is retro MTB, not retro F1), cheap and nasty corner shops from yesteryear branding, or a "free plug" to Johnnycomelately or whoever. You want ads, you pay for them.

BUT, in the spirit of getting a pro-look and just for fun, I am willing to explore the use of old MTB logos, and even putting a call/email into those who are still in the marketplace, but the likes of Shimano - who not everybody loves for their own reasons - might be willing to allow use of their logos but wouldn't allow them to be displayed together with Suntour or SACHS or similar, same goes for Orange, Hope, Pace (I should imagine) being happy to let us use their logo on a jersey, espeically if it's free advertising, but probably not alongside similar or competitior companies like Whyte, Stif, Magura, RocKShox, etc. I don't know how to articulate it better in text form, but those companies might want the whole lot or nothing at all.

And I am willing to have a bit of fun with making anything anyone wants if there's no written trail! As in, pop round for a cuppa, we chat, ketch and discuss ideas in a verified discreet location, no phones, nothing in writing, pay me in cash, and I physcially hand deliver a full on Crapple, Halfrauds, Shisa, Stiffy, CockShox, Shitmano, ShitGripf, whatever. But that AIN;T gonna happen, being realistic.

Making a replica of an older jersey or a combination of styles might work? Maybe a combination of familiar old school designs, like a montage> 8 sections, 4 front 4 back, 2 different sleeves, with the colours/patterns of retro favourites? (Thinking as I type....)

The Fat Chance team design
Kona Joe Murray design
Orange spots
Klein colours
Yeti design
Shimano blues and greens
etc.
Like those 50:50 football or rugby shirts that used to get sold, like half Everton half Arsenal, or whatever?

I also love the Badger idea i.p.o. FOX, but that COULD get tricky, depending how it's drawn and displayed (context). I did mock up DoG and CoW a while ago in the FOX tail logo style. That kinda keeps it visually on point, and possibly the right sort of funny/complimentary for FOX?

Getting late. Losing the plot. Will sketch something soon/over Crimbo.

My 2 pence is I'd recommend avoiding all existing and historical logos. It's a mine-field and it'd be more original to have something bespoke to the event. Influences of the age and era could certainly provoke some pretty cool designs; purple and pretty much every garish colour under the sun, nice big 90s style fonts, etc.

Re: Re:

Gerard":cg4dl5rx said:
Regan
There will be the 'Mayhem bike sticker' which might work on a sleeve?
Great idea. I think sleeves, particularly the shoulder and above bicep area, are prime placement areas, so should have something clear, bold and legible for those side-on photos from the event. Which specific Mayhem sticker are you referrring to? Feel free to message or text me a snapshot to me. Cheers/
Retro Spud":cg4dl5rx said:
Reggie
Pat has retired it’s now Jill in full control of the event, I’ll send you her contact info via a PM
Duly noted, Nick. Thanks for the heads-up. It's on my to-do list and I'm targeting mid March to wrap this all up to enable enough time to get orders in for anyone interested, or not.

al-onestare":cg4dl5rx said:
My 2 pence is I'd recommend avoiding all existing and historical logos. It's a mine-field and it'd be more original to have something bespoke to the event. Influences of the age and era could certainly provoke some pretty cool designs; purple and pretty much every garish colour under the sun, nice big 90s style fonts, etc.
As always I appreciate your opinions Al, thanks. Can you jsut clarify which logos you're not a fan of? If it's bike/components companies' logos, I think I get you, as in "less is more" perhaps? But I'm not entirely sure. "90s' style fonts" includes thousands of styles, though. Only a handful form a theme of 'obvious 90s' but might not be relevant or even suitable. Thant in itself is a minefield. :p

Back