White Peak District Classic - Sunday 25th February

Coooeeeee!

Can anyone tell me what terrain to expect? Not too worried about mud or wet. Just actual terrain - rocky/ lumpy/ smooth etc etc.

I am building a bike specifically for this event (because I can) and need to know what to expect.

Thanks

Definitely one for your Townsend this one as there will be soil, mud, rocks, a few lumps and bumps, a little bit of flat, a few undulating parts, perhaps some rain, a little wind - perfect for such a mount!

legrandefromage":1v62oi78 said:
Coooeeeee!

Can anyone tell me what terrain to expect? Not too worried about mud or wet. Just actual terrain - rocky/ lumpy/ smooth etc etc.

I am building a bike specifically for this event (because I can) and need to know what to expect.

Thanks

Re:

I was up there yesterday checking things for next week. There is a lot of soft mud about so I am changing the route a bit to avoid the worst. There is not much in the way of rocks, a few tarmac climbs and a few grassy climbs. Hoping for some dry weather to let the river go down a bit as it has gone over the banks which we were going to ride near.
I will be on my Saracen as usual, full rigid.
****** Good nobbly tyres are advised. *********
Will update the main page tonight.

Re: Re:

Myshrall189":3folf4a9 said:
****** Good nobbly tyres are advised. *******

Well that's a bit of a dilemma - proper knobblies would mean taking my mudguards off to make space and that just seems uncouth!

Re:

Confirmed so far:

Myself - Myshrall 189
Danson67
legrandefromarge
harryCrumb
longun
elpedro666
randomdan

plus a couple of maybe's

Route will mainly be farm tracks, gravel, grass and a little mud! A couple of short rocky bits to keep things interesting.
Approx 20 miles now, hopefully missing the worst of the muddy sections, but please bear in mind there has been a lot of rain and snow. Weather looks favourable this week, but please do not turn up on semi-slicks.

3 good climbs will be rewarded with 3 good descents, plus some flatter sections in between.
With a start time of 10am (pete!) I estimate 3-4pm finish at a steady pace. We can trim a little off if required.

Route starts at Darley Bridge, to Rowsley, Bakewell (fish and chip stop), Youlgreave, Birchover and back to the pub at Darley Bridge.

Meet at a small car park next to the Cricket pitch in “Darley Bridge”, just past the railway station, close to the “Square and compass pub”. Parking is free.
Post code is DE4 2EQ
Start point on map below

Attachments

• Untitledarley bridge start.jpg
    Untitledarley bridge start.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 593
I'm still a maybe but more likely a probably not. I'm trying to get rid of the kids for the weekend that just HAPPENS to be a ride weekend, purely coincidental. So far the wife thinks that means we can do stuff together. I'm fighting the good fight but think I may have sunk myself on this occasion

Back