Retro Scene in Sydney???

GTZaskarLE94

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

I'm slowly re-building my retro GT collection and was wondering if there is any retro bike shops etc around the Sydney area?

Looking for service of RC Judy, Manitou Answer & Mars Shocks, as well as any other bits and pieces that I can't find on here...

In addition, any retrobike gatherings for commuter or all mountain riding?

Any ideas?

Cheers
AB

Re:

I'm not sure if there are specifically retro bike shops around Sydney. I think Universe Cycles in Parramatta used to have a lot of old stock and had a clearout of sorts about 18 months ago. From what I read on a couple of other forums (Sydney Cyclist and Bicycles Network Australia from memory) the old stock was still priced at top dollar.

Cheeky Transport at Newtown are very good and certainly go the extra mile to help out. I've had two wheelsets built by them with new or lightly used 20 year old rims and hubs and they are performing faultlessly. They also performed some fine tuning of my Bontrager Race Lite when I initially built it and also straightened a severly bent derailleur hanger on my Diamond Back Team Issue. A Google search will take you their web site and you can check them out.

For servicing your Rock Shox Judy etc., I think you're probably better performing the service yourself using the relevant manuals. If you don't have the time or not confident in pulling them down I'd take them into Cheeky.

In terms of rides, I get along to the Old Man's Valley track at Hornsby quite regularly and take the Bontrager. It's a fun track especially on the Bontrager. Can meet up for a ride there if you're interested. The next two weekends are probably unlikely especially 28-29th March with the Mont 24 Hour being held.

AK

GTZaskarLE94":37k6ize8 said:
Hi All

Looking for service of RC Judy, Manitou Answer & Mars Shocks, as well as any other bits and pieces that I can't find on here...

Cheers
AB

I have bits and pieces of Judy bits if you are interested......

There are no retro shops around that I know of, but most older established bike shops probably carry retro stock. Might be worth checking out the ones in your area. A mate found a bike shop out of town that was dripping with old BMX kit from years ago. He had a field day!

There's a swap-meet in Darlinghurst occasionally, but I've never been along. There's also Retro MTB Marketplace Australia on FB that sells retro stuff dated up to about 2000 (I think). When I first signed up here at RB I'd put items for sale in the Aus section for a few weeks before heading over to Ebay, but no-one ever seemed interested.

And I think WoolysWheels in Paddington might be a RockShox service centre (but check the website or give them a ring to make sure). How far back their fork knowledge goes I couldn't tell you, but I've had retro bottom brackets, headsets, and hubs in there for servicing or repair and they've always done a proper job.

Can't help you with the rides - I tend to ride solo - but I was thinking it would be cool to do something along the lines of ICONOCLASSIC, on a slightly smaller scale.

Re: swap mee this Sat 28 March 2015

You'll be able to satisfy your retro needs this Sat<http://www.eventbrite.com.au/o/sydney-classic-bicycle-show-5982807533>

Latest posts

Back