SOLD Late 70's Ian May racing bike, refurbished, £595

jhnbssll

Retro Newbie
Gauging interest on a recently finished project of mine.

I purchased the frame on eBay, it was painted gold and branded as a Colnago but the seller suspected it was an Ian May and advertised it as such. Frame measures ~23" from centre of BB to top of seat tube and ~21.5" from centre of seat tube to centre of head tube.

I stripped it down to bare metal when it arrived and I found the Ian May frame number 014-IMC on the BB shell. This means it's a genuine handmade frame built by the late Ian May himself. I'm told most of the bikes sold as Ian May's used imported framesets so this one, number 14, is fairly special.

It has campagnolo dropouts and lugs and Reynolds 531 frame tubes and fork legs. I have sprayed the frame a deep blue with ivory lugs.

I built the frame up to be used so the groupset has been chosen to suit and is slightly newer than the frame, largely Campagnolo Chorus. I laced the Chorus hubs on to new Mavic rims with new spokes. The 6 speed freewheel is new old stock, as is the chain and the chainrings.

The bike has covered a grand total of around a mile since it was rebuilt.

The one negative thing I can think of is a chip in the new paint on the inside of the driveside chainstay that I did when I put the back wheel in, I could have cried :LOL:

Anyway, I'd desperately like to keep this bike but I'm very low on space and would like to start a new project so this one needs a new home - let me know if you're interested or want more information, I'd be happy to provide it. For photos etc there is a complete build thread over on cyclechat - skip to page 8 for finished photos if you're in a hurry :LOL:

I'm asking for £595, I'm based just outside Ipswich in Suffolk - viewings welcome for serious buyers.

Re: Late 70's Ian May racing bike, refurbished, £595

Just wanted to say what a lovely looking bike you came out with, and how much I enjoyed reading your build diary! Good luck with the sale. :)

zerogravitas":1zqmaauj said:
Just wanted to say what a lovely looking bike you came out with, and how much I enjoyed reading your build diary! Good luck with the sale. :)

Thanks very much, I'm really pleased with how it came out and more than a little gutted that I'm having to sell it so soon after finishing it :cry: Hopefully my loss will be someone else's gain :LOL:

And a photo for those of you who decide not to follow the link... :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 20190614_164045_b.jpg
    20190614_164045_b.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 759
Back