CLAUD BUTLER ‘COMPETITOR’ BY HOLDSWORTH – 1981.

tphilli1

Retro Newbie
In good condition with some paint blemishes.

Reynolds 531 frame & forks. 24 in. frame

Campagnolo Nuovo Record front & rear mechs. SR Apex chainset 50 / 40. 6 speed block.

Fiamme sprint rims with tubular tyres. GB stem & bars.

Rebuilt 2012 but not used since 2015. Spare 6 speed block and new Vittoria tubular included
£100 Cash only. Will Deliver up to 50 miles from Chelmsford (after 29/03/2021).

Attachments

• clbuttp6.jpg
    clbuttp6.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,347
In good condition with some paint blemishes.

Reynolds 531 frame & forks. 24 in. frame

Campagnolo Nuovo Record front & rear mechs. SR Apex chainset 50 / 40. 6 speed block.

Fiamme sprint rims with tubular tyres. GB stem & bars.

Rebuilt 2012 but not used since 2015. Spare 6 speed block and new Vittoria tubular included
£100 Cash only. Will Deliver up to 50 miles from Chelmsford (after 29/03/2021).
Hi. I am new to this site but have a Holdsworth Competitor. I looked at the frame number and found it was made in 1977 and on 1 site they said it was only made for 1 year. A Claude Butler one was advertised as a buy it now on eBay for £800 so yours might be under priced.
I am gradually doing mine up. Thanks Geoff

Nice to know what the frame number is, but it’s certainly not from 1977 as that model used clips for the top tube. This has the Italian style three brazed on guides on the top tube that were introduced 1980/81.
Not sure who says they were only sold in 1977, but they’re wrong.
As for value? £100 is a fair price, possible to get a few quid more if it’s in great condition.
As for £800 for a mid range 531 plain gauged main tubed late 70’s early 80’s bike? Not what I’d pay...

Training for and riding LeJog in June took over my life! (Not on the Holdsworth / Claud!).

Geoff's 'Competitor' perhaps is older. I believe mine is from 1981. Its frame number is 018592. Perhaps Peachy! can date it from that. I'm only asking £100 as I just really want it to go to a good ' enthusiasts' home. Yes, its still available.

Frame number has it squarly in the middle of 1979.... so there's a lesson learned for me, that's the first '79 frame I've seen with those top tube guides.... better prod the keeper of the archive @dwscrimshaw :)
6 figure snip.JPG

Not sure there is a hard and fast rule as to when these were used, I guess you could have them added before they were officially used. Alternately they could have been added by owners much latter. Holdsworth used them on Pro & Mistrals as far back as ~010200 and I have a 78 Pro SL with them. This would be the earliest CB I have seen with them and this is a good while after Holdsworth Models. May be they fitted them to their top of the range first then gradually used them else where.

Are you implying this CB was not 'top of the range' lol. Wish now I had kept my 1961 Ephgrave; that might have been easier to sell!

Back