1977 Raleigh Olympus 5 Speed 23” £120

wellsprop

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

My first time posting on this forum (please be nice), been following the forum for quite a while though!

Selling a newly restored late 1970’s Raleigh Olympus for £140. I saved this one from the tip as the original owner had it stored in a shed for years and no longer wanted it.

The frame number is NN7012810, I believe that makes this a 1977 bike.

All ready to ride away, looks fantastic, only some minor tarnishing on the wheels and frame. It’s polished up very well particularly for a bike over 40 years old!

I believe all the parts are original (except maybe the saddle?) and I have kept the restoration true to the era.

23” frame with 26” wheels. Approx 56cm effective top tube, probably best for someone 5’10 or less (I’m 5’11 and find it a little small). Wheels roll well and are mostly true, better than what you’d expect given the age.

Weinmann brake levers with Dia Compe safety levers, the brakes themselves aren’t branded. Raleigh branded Huret 5 speed rear mech with an Atom freewheel. Front and rear mudguards with front and rear reflectors.

Includes the original frame pump as shown, as well as the pedal reflectors (haven’t put them on as I don’t like the look of them!) and the wheel reflectors (though the attachments have snapped). Also includes the original Raleigh Owners Handbook from the late 70’s that the original owner kept.
It’s cost about £60 to restore to this condition, hence the asking price.

Full strip down and rebuild (excluding BB – which was in good enough condition anyway), all components have been cleaned and brightly polished. I smoothed down the minor surface rust and paint on the frame before applying a high lacquer to get it shiny again and I restored the paint on the headtube to its original satin black. The mudguards have been sanded and resprayed their original satin black.

Full inner and outer cable replacement. New Cane Creek Weinmann fit hoods with new bar tape. New Raleigh branded 1 ¼” x 26 tyres.

Collection preferable, though I will deliver within 40-60 mins of Bristol Airport.

Selling this one to help fund a week away in the new forest on the gravel/all road bikes :p

Cheers,
Ben

Re: 1977 Raleigh Olympus 5 Speed 23” £160

Lovely. I got one of these after my chopper.

GLWTS

Oh, and how much for the stand?

Oh my God! It is amazing bike. What's a pity that I am from another country. Do you have a special vintage under seat bag with slots for instruments and other staff?

hotren":3fm3pz2i said:
Oh my God! It is amazing bike. What's a pity that I am from another country. Do you have a special vintage under seat bag with slots for instruments and other staff?

Cheers :)

Unfortunately not, would be even better if it did!

Back