22" Kula Primo hybrid MTB lightweight city bike

apolloxl

Dirt Disciple
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112324508031? ... 1555.l2649

Superlight singlespeed MTB set up for urban riding, spec as follows:

-- 22"/XL Kona Kula Primo XC frame, constructed from US-made Easton Ultralite Race Taperwall - probably the best alumnium ever made.
-- Salsa CroMoto steel forks - light and strong, and also give a little bit of spring to the front end.
-- Mavic XC717 rims laced with DT Swiss Revolution spokes to DT Swiss 340 hubs. Superlight wheels that would grace any top-of-the-range XC MTB
-- Lockable Pitlock skewers -- the wheels can't be taken off without the key. (Can replace with QRs if preferred).
-- Vredestein S-Lick tyres, 1.3 width (brilliant grip on tarmac and still loads of life in them).
-- Avid Mechanical disc brakes (BB7 front, BB5 rear), Goodrich cables, red X-Lite levers. Stop on a sixpence and pretty much fit and forget (unlike hydraulics...)
-- Middleburn 175mm cranks and 44t chainring - the stuff of legends.
-- BMX chain, Odyssey BMX pedals which give a great platform for virtually no weight.
-- WTB Rocket V SLT saddle with titanium rails, finished in leather and woven carbon, on a layback aluminium seatpost.
-- FSA OS 115 130 mm stem.
-- RaceFace Deus XC Low Riser bars (cut down an inch or so either side).
-- RaceFace Deus XC headset.

===========================================

I built this bike up as a superlight (just on 20 lbs) but bombproof urban ride, using top components throughout. The chainline is dead straight and it doesn't need a tensioner (though you should probably add one if you convert it to fixed).

If you want to take it off-road, all it needs is a set of knobbly tyres -- and all the frame fittings are there if you want to restore the gears.

This bike is an absolute blast on the street and I've had a huge amount of fun riding it. It cost me well over £1,000 to put together, and you won't find anything this classy in the shops without spending a lot more than the £450 price tag.

You are welcome to come and try the bike out -- I live near Islington, London

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Just a thought

"The chainline is dead straight and it doesn't need a tensioner (though you should probably add one if you convert it to fixed)"

Can't run a tensioner with fixed - and yes as is the chain is too slack for fixed. Might find a magic ratio with/without half link chain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112324508031? ... 1555.l2649

Superlight singlespeed MTB set up for urban riding, spec as follows:

-- 22"/XL Kona Kula Primo XC frame, constructed from US-made Easton Ultralite Race Taperwall - probably the best alumnium ever made.
-- Salsa CroMoto steel forks - light and strong, and also give a little bit of spring to the front end.
-- Mavic XC717 rims laced with DT Swiss Revolution spokes to DT Swiss 340 hubs. Superlight wheels that would grace any top-of-the-range XC MTB
-- Lockable Pitlock skewers -- the wheels can't be taken off without the key. (Can replace with QRs if preferred).
-- Vredestein S-Lick tyres, 1.3 width (brilliant grip on tarmac and still loads of life in them).
-- Avid Mechanical disc brakes (BB7 front, BB5 rear), Goodrich cables, red X-Lite levers. Stop on a sixpence and pretty much fit and forget (unlike hydraulics...)
-- Middleburn 175mm cranks and 44t chainring - the stuff of legends.
-- BMX chain, Odyssey BMX pedals which give a great platform for virtually no weight.
-- WTB Rocket V SLT saddle with titanium rails, finished in leather and woven carbon, on a layback aluminium seatpost.
-- FSA OS 115 130 mm stem.
-- RaceFace Deus XC Low Riser bars (cut down an inch or so either side).
-- RaceFace Deus XC headset.

I built this bike up as a superlight (just on 20 lbs) but bombproof urban ride, using top components throughout. The chainline is dead straight and it doesn't need a tensioner (though you should probably add one if you convert it to fixed).

If you want to take it off-road, all it needs is a set of knobbly tyres -- and all the frame fittings are there if you want to restore the gears.

This bike is an absolute blast on the street and I've had a huge amount of fun riding it. It cost me well over £1,000 to put together, and you won't find anything this classy in the shops without spending a lot more than the £450 price tag.

You are welcome to come and try the bike out -- I live near Islington, London
Let's have a pic or two!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back