My touring / trekking / 'go anywhere'adventure bike.

Steve Kish

Senior Retro Guru
This is my 'go anywhere' touring / trekking / adventure bike. I've had it for a few years but I've maintained it carefully and all-in-all, it's in very good condition and works perfectly.

It's based on a classic Marin mountain bike and has been adapted for long-distance road touring. Resprayed (powder coated) in blue with contrasting 'Orange' transfers, it looks good and performs well. I've just returned from a short touring holiday in the Peak District of Derbyshire and it was a pleasure to tour on this all-purpose bike. (BTW, although the frame is relatively unmarked, I have a large can of touch-up paint that is a perfect match and this is included).

FRAME - Marin Pine Mountain steel frame in Tange Infinity cromoly tubing, 19" MTB size so would suit riders between about 5ft 8 and 6ft 1 - huge amount of seat pillar adjustment, as can be seen. Rigid forks. Cane Creek cartridge headset.

WHEELS - Shimano WH-M505 wheels, 28/28 with Schwalbe Durano slick 26 x 1.35" tyres. Has sufficient clearance for up to 26 x 2.3" MTB tyres.

DRIVE TRAIN - Shimano Deore FC-M410 chainset, 175mm with triple 42/32/22 chainrings and Shimano PD-M424 SPD pedals. Cassette is a purpose-built 9-speed 11-32 (11-12-13-14-16-18-21-26-32) so with the chainset, an enormous range between 99" and a 'climb anything' low of just under 18". Shimano Deore 'rapid-fire' 2-way shifters and front and rear derailleurs. Rear has a long cage so all 27 gears are useable. KMC 9-73 chain.

BRAKES - Shimano Deore LX levers and matching V-brakes. Uprated with full XTR cable set. Great stopping power, even when loaded with panniers.

STEERING - Alloy bars with sponge grips, uncut (58cm) and Onza Ski extensions, taped for comfort. ITM Mantis flippable stem, 120mm long.

SADDLE - Charge Spoon on Lite-Stik seat pillar, 16mm layback.

ACCESSORIES - I'm including the following as although it's very easy to re-adapt to MTB by just changing the tyres, I've been using it as a touring bike so has a few extra items included in the sale:-
1 - SKS Longboard full mudguards, 45mm wide.
2 - Blackburn rear alloy luggage rack, suitable for top 'day' bags and full panniers.
3. A pair of Carbonzone carbon fibre bottle cages.
4. A pair of new Conti 'Tour 26 Slim' inner tubes.
5. Spare spokes for the wheels - took ages to find but never had a need to fit any.

For obvious reasons, this is sold on a 'buyer collects' basis and inspection is invited almost any evening or afternoon at my home near Heathrow Airport.

Looking for £400 for the lot.

Thanks - compliment is apreciated.
As there's absolutely no interest in this, I'm withdrawing it, removing guards and rack and restoring it to a retro MTB. My touring aspirations will be met by my new Enigma Etape beastie.

Back