Raleigh portage 54cm 650b - £250

fossala

Retro Guru
I bought this bike a few months ago and have replaced the tyres with gran bois 38mm and put on a set of velo orange aluminium mudguards costing £130.

The groupset and wheels look like they haven't been used much, I've put around 500miles on this bike and it rides well. I'm only getting rid of it as I like to change my bike quite often to keep commuting interesting.

MChrGiG.jpg

Album of pictures here
http://imgur.com/a/w3fJI

This is what the seller I bought it off said, not much really to add.
Rare, awesome and far too small for me, no matter what I try.

Raleigh USA made these in the 80s as their top-of-the-line 'adventure' tourer, but I'd never heard of it before. It has mostly original parts - XT chainset and mechs XT brakes. The bike came with downtube shifters but they weren't on it when I bought it so I've fitted Ultegra bar ends (friction). Cockpit should have been some shimano bits and randonneur bars but they didn't come with it so it's now got Cinelli stem and bars, and Exage levers. Brooks is also non-original and barely worn in.

It's all running fine but needs a new set of tyres as the sidewall on both has worn.

These are highly regarded in the US and reach >$1000 but I've no idea of the market here so for a quick sale I'd like £350 posted in the UK, or less if you can collect in York/Leeds area (or I can drive it to you).

Condition can be seen in the photos but no issues, just a bit of surface rust/rub around where the rear brake cable meets the top tube.

Seat tube and stem move freely, headset is all good.

Looking for £250 plus postage.

I'm based in Cornwall but am happy shipping and have done many times.

I don't know what the hubs are, they are high flange and seem like good quality hubs. The whole bike was originally speced very highly.

At the moment no, I've got shingles (at 27!). If it is that important I will muster up the strength to move off the sofa and take pictures. The clearance is quite fine but nothing has got caught in it even riding Plym trail a week ago. Looks very smart.

Wife was kind enough to drag it out the house to take a pic. Not very good but I daren't ask her to do it again :roll:
7Tfq6oWl.jpg

thanks for going to the effort of getting pics for me, I've had shingles too so you have my sympathy!

I looked a this when it was first up for sale and passed a the time due to the price in relation to needing new tyres etc as I wasn't 100% convinced it would fit me, I'm still not 100% convinced it will fit but price is more realistic to have a try at fitting it to me!

I'm going to the Bristol Bike Jumble this weekend to try and flog some bits, will see if I can rustle up enough so if it's still available next week will be back in catact.

Hope you feel better soon.

Re:

I'm having second thoughts about flogging it. I'll leave it up for the moment though. I'm 5ft 10 with a 30 inch inseam and it is set up for me in the picture with mudguards. I wouldn't want to me much shorter than me, it feels big for a 54 (it was sold as a 53 to me but 8've triple checked, it's 54 square).

Back