Raleigh Portage 650b 53cm. £250 or £200 for just orig bits

ForestHill

Retro Guru
Rare, awesome and far too small for me, no matter what I try.

Raleigh USA made these in the 80s as their top-of-the-line 'adventure' tourer, but I'd never heard of it before. It has mostly original parts - XT chainset and mechs XT brakes. The bike came with downtube shifters but they weren't on it when I bought it so I've fitted Ultegra bar ends (friction). Cockpit should have been some shimano bits and randonneur bars but they didn't come with it so it's now got Cinelli stem and bars, and Exage levers. Brooks is also non-original and barely worn in.

It's all running fine but needs a new set of tyres as the sidewall on both has worn.

These are highly regarded in the US and reach >$1000 but I've no idea of the market here so for a quick sale I'd like £350 posted in the UK, or less if you can collect in York/Leeds area (or I can drive it to you).

Condition can be seen in the photos but no issues, just a bit of surface rust/rub around where the rear brake cable meets the top tube.

Seat tube and stem move freely, headset is all good.

i1vUk9Wl.jpg

0hYxsVtl.jpg

vHVcqFGl.jpg

Ia22Eeql.jpg

rmaiTkml.jpg

fBUqwrpl.jpg

4ff6J04l.jpg

PQibCIWl.jpg

Re: Raleigh Portage 650b tourer 53cm. 80s almost original. £250

Hmm, looks interesting, but I have a feeling it could possibly be a little too big for me, could you confirm the measurements for the following please:

BB C-C
BB C-T
TT C-C

Was wondering if you could check the tyres too, the sidewalls look like they're fraying a bit in the pics, are they sound or gone?
What size is currently fitted 650B x ?? (looke like 38-42ish)

thanks

Re:

Hi, the measurements are

53 centre to centre along top and seat tubes
54.5 centre to top

The tyres are the original 650b x 35 I think and yes, the sidewalls have started to fray with age, which is unfortunate.

I've just taken some new photos and noticed that the bar tape is in pretty sorry condition, but I'll rewrap it if someone buys.

I'd be happy to sell the original parts (so without the bars, stem, shifters and levers) for £200 posted if someone wanted to build it differently.

Re:

I sent a message a few days ago but he hasn't go back to me. Sent him a revised offer for everything this morning. Posted in this thread to try and get his attention.
Cheers.

Back